PDA

View Full Version : Making The Rounds

Julie Kenward
08-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I drove out to Lawrence, Kansas today to take some photographs of a future job site for the company I work for and stumbled upon a field of greenery that was chalk full of insects. I couldn't spend much time on them today but I'll be going back as soon as the temperature around here gets drops back out of the "Oh sweet Jesus, could it be any hotter?" zone.

Yeah, I wish I had waited for him to get further up on the flower (what IS this thing, anyway?) but the sweat was rolling down inside my glasses so I took my shot and moved on. Next time I'll stop down the aperture a bit more, also.

Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f/5 @ 1/200, ISO 200
AWB, Handheld, bright morning sun

Processed in Camera Raw and adjusted for levels & curves in CS3.

Ed Vatza
08-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Don't you just hate it when the glasses go sweaty and foggy! I just hate when that happens.:(

I don't know what the flower is but the butterfly is a Skipper - not sure exactly which one.

The eye and body are sharp but the wing is very soft. I think you really needed more dof here and a better pose on the part of the butterfly. Next time.

Bruce Murden
08-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Julie, you took care of our critique, so we'll all just have to admire your drive to stop and photograph the flora & fauna. Always nice to fit a little photography into the work day (when it doesn't interfere with work for our companies & clients, of course)!