PDA

View Full Version : Canon 70-200f4IS Collar?

Rocky Sharwell
01-11-2008, 06:35 AM
Hello all...

I was wondering what experiences others have had with the 70-200F4IS and the tripod collar. I have tried two different collars--and each time the collar is not 100% tight. In the older collar it was loose--but it was a bit tighter and probably "ok" for shooting at lower shutter speeds.

Thanks
Rocky

Gene C. Callison
01-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Try cutting a strip of "post it note" slightly less than the width of inside of the clamp, trim to length. With the adhesive side down, line the inside of your collar doing one side at a time. Try it after adding the first strip and see if it's tight enough. If not add another strip to make it tighter. It works wonders. Try it!

Gene_

Rocky Sharwell
01-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the idea Gene--I was thinking some sort of felt material from a craft store--but I like yours better. Office Depot is just down the street and no mall traffic!

David Kennedy
01-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Rocky,
I'm fortunate to have one that works perfectly fine, but Dad's was very loose for a long time. Magically, it seemed to tighten itself just before he was about to throw it out the window. It was mighty strange!!!
I would think just about any kind of thin shim would work, but have you tried calling Canon to ask about having it fixed?

Rocky Sharwell
01-16-2008, 07:17 AM
David,

I thought about calling Canon--but each of the collars is old--way past warranty--one has been used a lot (it came with my 400F5.6)--the other I bought wen I lost the other collar and then found it....

Walt Anderson
01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Rocky,
I adjusted mine with a one and a half inch length of 3m brand scotch tape! Easy to find even in a motel and invisible almost.

Walt Anderson
Visual Echoes Inc.