PDA

View Full Version : European Black Kite

John Harper
01-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Hi There

Just found this forum and thought i would post this as an introduction. Have been photographing Birds for just on a year, mainly at the Hawk Conservancy a local conservation centre not far from where I live.

Like to try for action shots of Birds in flight as much as possible and they have various flying displays at the Conservancy that gives me opportunities to try and get the shots i am after.

This shot was taken in April of last year

John

Tech Details

EOS1DMKIIN
EF 400mm F5.6
ISO 800
1/5000 @ 5.6

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/bk1.jpg

Del Cockroft
01-11-2008, 06:44 AM
I like this composition, particularly as you haven't clipped the wings. Just little more room at the bottom would have been preferrable. Is that a tag I see on its right wing? If so, I think I would have cloned it out.

Jacqui Hendry
01-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Excellent photograph,

So sharp and clear, lovely colour too :-)

J

Axel Hildebrandt
01-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Welcome, John! I like banking pose, details and the BG adds to the sense of motion. I just wish for a wider crop and eye contact.

John Harper
01-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Welcome, John! I like banking pose, details and the BG adds to the sense of motion. I just wish for a wider crop and eye contact.

Hi Axel

Thanks for the comments the shot was originally a landscape crop but i thought it might look better portrait format. The eye contact i could do nothing about unfortunately, but i will bear it mind for future shots. I post below the landscape crop to see if you prefer this one.

John

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/bk2.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
01-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for posting the full frame, John. You got really lucky to not clip a wing at all. Because of the tree in the BG it would be very tough to add canvas and get a smooth transition. In this case I would leave it as is. Since this was an 'airshow' maybe you will get a chance to photograph this bird again.

Lana Hays
01-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Welcome, John
I like the first image posted best....the vertical. It of course would be nice for more eye contact but it's not like there isn't any eye showing. Very sharp and nice details. I like this one.

murray rothstein
01-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Your first post has a feel to it that very few bird photos have. The banking pose together with the suggestion of action by the blurred BG give a dynamic look. I can feel the excitement that birds of this type generate. I think it's an excellent crop. The overall photo is absolutely first rate even if some other photogs might have done it a little differently. (I would have tried to emphasize the eyes in PS)

Murray Rothstein AKA marsupialM

Jim Neiger
01-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi John,

I really like this image alot. The banking pose is excellant. I also like the vertical crop and the bg. My only nit is that it needs a bit more room at the bottom. Well done!