PDA

View Full Version : lionscape

peter delaney
07-31-2008, 11:47 PM
D3 + 400 vr 2.8 + 1.7 tc.
iso 500 ,f11 @ 1/640.

Taken on recent trip to Kalahari. This trip I tried to concentrate on showing the subject in its environment. This male was a beauty and hung around camp site for a few days .Was not always very visible but was vocal.

Marc Mol
07-31-2008, 11:54 PM
I like it very much Peter.
Looks like a painting. Great composition.
Was this on a tripod or did you handhold this beast?
He looks about 3 yrs old?

Cheers
Marc

Sabyasachi Patra
08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi Peter,
I like this shot. I love the texture of this shot. I would like to see a horizontal composition. Thanks for sharing

peter delaney
08-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks Marc... i always forget to include some details ...I was fortunate enough to be able to use a tripod ....he was close enough to our camp for me to be able to do this. The 400 was a loan lens from nikon SA as my 600 was in for repairs.

Thanks Sabyasachi , I do have a horizontal version and pano version will post in near future ...

Thanks for the comments guys...

David Steele
08-01-2008, 02:51 AM
You don't often get a chance to photograph a lion in the Kalahari with a tripod and you made the best of this! Sounds like you have several cropping options too and it would be good to see them. The composition, colours and sharpness all contribute to the success of this image but it also a magnificent male and the windswept mane is the cherry on the top. I can't remember seeing a better lion image on BPN.

Ken Watkins
08-01-2008, 03:41 AM
What a lovely lion, what will he look like in a few years time when the mane has gone really black, magnificent.

My only gripe is that he appears to stand out a little too much from the background, what camp were you at?

Mike Tracy
08-01-2008, 05:15 AM
As said you have many crop options with this stunning image. Everything comes together IMO. Complimentary colors, the wind, and I like how you made good eye contact without him looking directly at you.

Since it appears to me at least that he is leaning on his left side maybe a slight cw rotation might be tried.

Fabs Forns
08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Stunning pose and look on his face and the patterned bbackground is a perfect match. Placing him closer to the upper left corner would make for a stronger compo, IMO. Congrats on a job well done!

Sid Garige
08-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Absolutely wonderful image. I would either place the subject on top or bottom with a rectangular crop. Great background.

Vincent Grafhorst
08-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Very nice Peter, the pose and deatils of the mane and its wind blown mane are stunning and so are the surrounding kalahari grasses. I do not prefer the square crop, but that's a matter of taste.

D. Robert Franz
08-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Very pleasing image overall Peter. Not a fian of the crop might like to see a horizontal image...

peter delaney
08-10-2008, 02:56 PM
thanks everyone for taking time out to comment....have taken note of your ideas on crop...will post a different crop soon.... thanks again .