PDA

View Full Version : Moose Photo Tour - Millinocket, ME

Ed Vatza
07-31-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm looking far ahead to our return to Maine next June. We'll be spending two weeks headquartered in Bar Harbor again. We will do a return trip to Machias Seal Island for Puffins. That is for sure. But we'd also like to see and photograph some moose. I found Moose and Photo Tours out of Millinocket run by Dale Stevens that look interesting. Anyone know anything about these tours? Worthwhile?

Here is a web site http://www.mainelyphotos.com/

Bob Ettinger
07-31-2008, 07:21 PM
I think if memory serves, that he takes a bunch of folks in a van. He may offer something more custom but not sure. Moose up there can be seen on Golden Road and in Baxter State PArkamong other places.

Hope this helps

Ed Vatza
08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks Bob. That sounds like the guy.

I am just curious whether his "safari" is worth the two hour drive up to Millinocket from Bar Harbor and the two hour drive back after dark. My wife loves moose and I would like an opportunity to photograph them.

steve_spiegel
09-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Ed

I'm a little late to the party here but of course, you're not going until next June so it's really not late.

I'm taking a one day, all day, photo tour with Dale Stevens on 10/1. It's $200 per person and he picks you up at 5:30 AM and takes you out all day (approx. 13 hours). The hope is ti find bulls in rut with some fall colors mixed in. I will report back after we're done.

The other well known choice is Mark Picard who spends a lot of time in Baxter but I think his tours are for a few days.

Ed Vatza
09-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Ed

I'm a little late to the party here but of course, you're not going until next June so it's really not late.

I'm taking a one day, all day, photo tour with Dale Stevens on 10/1. It's $200 per person and he picks you up at 5:30 AM and takes you out all day (approx. 13 hours). The hope is ti find bulls in rut with some fall colors mixed in. I will report back after we're done.

The other well known choice is Mark Picard who spends a lot of time in Baxter but I think his tours are for a few days.

Thanks Steve. I will await your report. I am still trying to figure out the details. We are booked in Bar Harbor for two weeks. (We have been there often and love Acadia, Schoodic, etc. etc.). We will once again do a day trip to Cutler and the Bold Coast trip to Machias Seal island for Puffins. My wife loves moose and I would really enjoy some photo ops with them. I'm just not sure how I want to work from Bar Harbor. All options are open (for an evening trip) ranging from coming up a day early, going straight to Millinocket, doing the tour, and spending the night there before heading to Bar Harbor to a day trip from Bar Harbor returning late at night and everything in between. Oh well, I have time to work this out! ;)

steve_spiegel
09-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Ed

I don't think you can do this as a day trip from Bar Harbor because I am told that Baxter State Park frequently reaches maximum capacity in the mid morning hours and then you cannot get into the park. It will be approx. 5 hours round trip from Bar Harbor so that may be a limiting factor too. I've been told you need to be at the park in the early AM to get it for sure and then spend the day searching for Moose.

Grady Weed
01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Steve is right on here as to the Baxter Park filling up quick in the am, especially that time of year. EVERYBODY wants a Moose image and the park is quite a place for it. In addition Maine residents get priority over out of stater's as to admittance in the park. If your up for a bit different place to try on your own, drive the golden road! You will want to spend the night before in Millinocket or Greenville to do so for either trip. It is worth the extra money to sleep and be refreshed for the trip. The shakes and over caffenated nerves will make for bad images. :) A four wheel drive vehicle is a good idea if you had a lot of rain before the planned drive. I see cars on the road all the time however. If you like you can call me at 207-625-3370. I am always up for a drive to photograph Moose, and I have 03 4 door Dodge Hemi 4 whel drive to boot!