PDA

View Full Version : Species ID

Anita Rakestraw
07-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Can you identify this bird for me? It was fairly far away, but looked to me to be sparrow-sized, and I did think it was some type of sparrow. However, can't find it in my book.....Seems to have a wash of yellow on its breast, doesn't show too well here....From the back view, it looks to me like a young meadowlark, but I think it was too small and it certainly doesn't have the meadowlark beak or V....young dickcissel? I'll post a front and a back view. Thanks for your help!

Anita Rakestraw
07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Here's a front view.

Paul Lagasi
08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Maybe a very young Clay-Colored Sparrow, because of eye ring and breast color...but bill size not right (bill looks more like a finch), maybe its body hasn't caught up to its bill...not a Dickcissel. Tough call but I'm no expert, a very young bird just fledged. Paul

Dan Brown
08-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Maybe a Grasshopper Sparrow? Tough id on immature sparrows without the parents in the area. I think I am seeing the orangish lore on this bird and the head looks flat topped. Dan Brown

Anita Rakestraw
08-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Thanks, Paul and Dan - agree on the difficulty of a firm ID at this young age!

Ron Ridout
08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
A recently fledged Bobolink

Anita Rakestraw
08-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Ron, thank you! Is this a positive ID? I agree, it looks much like the female in my Audubon book.....Amazing how different the males look (well, maybe not amazing, come to think of it) but I've never seen an adult male bobolink out here - look like they'd be fairly easy to spot. Hmmmm.....