PDA

View Full Version : Being Care Out in the Field

Michael Pancier
07-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Once again we must always be careful when out in the field. these folks were not pros, but it could happen to anyone.

Tragic accident trying to get pictures. Read it here (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/front-page/story/624052.html).

Fabs Forns
07-31-2008, 08:39 AM
What unnecessary death, good reminder to be extra careful when out and trying to get that special picture!

Daniel Cadieux
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Many of us take risks to get the perfect angle or view-point. My favorite spot to photograph warblers at the cottage is setting up a blind directly near the edge of a cliff with a 40 foot drop into a swamp. Extreme precaution is taken on my part, but accidents do happen. Some people take almost no risks and fall victim to freak accidents. Others are careless and foolish but escape unscathed.

The hobby we choose (and for many here their profession) makes us frequent lots of areas that others don't or wouldn't. A good reminder to be very vigilant out there.

A tragic accident for sure, let's all be careful out there!

Julie Kenward
07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
That is a good reminder. I had another one just last week. I was at a small nearby lake in the middle of a nice suburban area walking around with my camera in the middle of the afternoon. When I came around to the opposite side I had an elderly lady and her husband approach me and tell me that they had seen a man watching my every move just off to the side of me for over THIRTY MINUTES. She said they could tell I was absorbed in what I was doing so they made it known to him that they were watching him watching me...but she reminded me once again that I can't get lost in the moment - I have to be ever vigilant about who is around me - and why.

Anita Rakestraw
08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh, Julie, that's scary!! So good of that couple to watch out for you and then to let you know what was going on! This week while out at our local lake, I ran into what I'm referring to as a "lake hermit." Mentally ill, I suspect. He didn't seem dangerous, but ya never know. People I've told have certainly been cautioning me.

Bonnie Block
08-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Yes--very scary.
I have had no problems myself, but a friend and fellow BPM member has been bothered before in very public areas. He now carries a little pouch on a string around his neck with a little pepper spray--not a bad idea I am thinking.

Joanna Trescott
08-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I photograph often (and know of photo classes that go there) to the Grottos where this man died. Every year there are people who slip on the rocks, fall into the Roaring Fork River and die. This is a very fast moving river (especially in a high runoff year) with lots of logs that can hold the body under water. Because it is only a 1/4 mile from the parking area, alot of people visit and do not know of the dangers. A good pair of hiking boots give you more stability on the slick rocks (even though they are dry). It always saddens me when such a disaster happens in this beautiful area.