PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Rocks at Sunrise

Michael Pancier
07-31-2008, 05:12 AM
Here's a shot taken not too far from Judd's shot right at sunrise. Actually south of his shot.

This is a 2 image HDR at -2 and at 0.
5d with 17-40 + polarizer
f/20
ISO 200
1/5 and 1/20 second

combined in photomatix pro

Robert Amoruso
07-31-2008, 06:45 AM
Nice contrasting images, yours and Judd's. As I mentioned in his post, I am P.O.'ed at your two guys as I have been trying to get colors like this at Canaveral National Seashore all summer.

Doesn't look like HDR but the high contrast with all the detail told me right off the bat it must be. I am liking this one too. Do you have any problem with posterization in sunrise/sunset colors. Either with an HDR or straight single exposure Michael?

Michael Pancier
07-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Nice contrasting images, yours and Judd's. As I mentioned in his post, I am P.O.'ed at your two guys as I have been trying to get colors like this at Canaveral National Seashore all summer.

Doesn't look like HDR but the high contrast with all the detail told me right off the bat it must be. I am liking this one too. Do you have any problem with posterization in sunrise/sunset colors. Either with an HDR or straight single exposure Michael?

Robert, on some sunrise/sunset shots I do get posterization and I eliminate it by getting rid of the higher exposure. I got that there so I opted for 2 image rather than 3 image HDR. Also here, I liked the wave action on the 2nd exposure (at 0Ev) but I wanted the saturated colors of the -2 Ev shot so those were also the logical two to combine.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Michael,
I like this one also...............very different perspective from Judds but also very effective use of rocks in the FG. Do you think you could get seperation of water between the rock edge and boulder on the right?? I also think you would have benefitted from a much longer exposure to eliminate the dark wave band intersecting the water as it tends to draw my eye away from the sun and wonderful clouds.

Vincent Grafhorst
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
A lovely scene Michael and well composed. Maybe a bit too saturated around the sun for my taste. I notice you do a lot in HDR. I must say I have tried several times,but am never as pleased with the results as when I manually blend different exposures. I am sure there is a lot possible with it though and that it needs lots of practise. Can you maybe recommend any good sources for speeding up the learning process?

Michael Pancier
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
A lovely scene Michael and well composed. Maybe a bit too saturated around the sun for my taste. I notice you do a lot in HDR. I must say I have tried several times,but am never as pleased with the results as when I manually blend different exposures. I am sure there is a lot possible with it though and that it needs lots of practise. Can you maybe recommend any good sources for speeding up the learning process?

Vincent, I use photomatix pro. trial and error and playing around with the settings.

I just try not to overdo it like some folks do which gives you that cartoon and halo look.

Paul Marcellini
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
The one wave line fills the void nicely. Well done on the hdr treatment. I might back off the yellows just a touch around the sun. Comp is very nice too.