PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Rocks Dawn

Judd Patterson
07-31-2008, 03:06 AM
http://www.juddpatterson.com/BPN/blowing_rocks2.jpg

This was taken along a fascinating mile of Florida's eastern coast. It is so different from the flat sand beaches and mangrove forests that you find in other areas of central/southern Florida. This was taken before sunrise as a big thunderstorm lit up along the horizon. I kept it "cool" during processing to highlight the presunrise pastels.

Canon 5D, 17-40mm f/4, 2-stop GND
0.4 sec, f/16, ISO 200

Michael Pancier
07-31-2008, 05:04 AM
your pics tell me I need to make it further north on the rocks. too much to shoot there before the good light goes away

Robert Amoruso
07-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Jeez, I have been trying to get clouds like this over the water all summer at Canaveral National Seashore. I am P.O.'ed at you and Michael. :) Then you have the rocks for the FG too.

Anyway, like this a lot and the .4 sec shutter speed was just right for the blur affect on the water.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Hey Judd,
Just super all around. The left rock edge leading line.......to the wonderful clouds and the movement of the water..........just great! Almost forgot to mention the well placed rock between the edge and the water to add another layer of interest.

Noel Carboni
07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Did I mention gorgeous?

-Noel

Vincent Grafhorst
07-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Very nice image Judd. A good choice to keep it cool, the pastel colors are awesome. The composition is fantastic as well. The only thing I am sure about is the wave action. Somehow I feel a more silky water (blurred) would have fit this scene better.

Robert Amoruso
07-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Somehow I feel a more silky water (blurred) would have fit this scene better.

I was thinking the same thing when I did my critique but liked the blur effect of the wave action on the shore and felt that was a nice touch. Also, the shutter speed used allows the clouds to be sharp vs. say a 30 sec. exposure.

Here I would have done one at the speed used and then some slower speeds.

To deal with getting the clouds sharp and the water blurred, I am doing two exposures at different shutter speeds and merging the two in PS. Hope to post some of them in the near future.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
To deal with getting the clouds sharp and the water blurred, I am doing two exposures at different shutter speeds and merging the two in PS. Hope to post some of them in the near future.[/quote]

Whoa! Now that is a very cool idea! I've got to get you and Michael to post the HDR tutorial soon!

PS I still like the shutter speed Judd chose.........just looks neat.........but a comparison would be interesting!

Paul Marcellini
07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
The comp is great and I love the toning here. The coolness really comes through nicely. I may have even seen this same crazy storm as I was up in Stuart this past weekend. Your photo trip seemed to be more productive than my fishing trip. =)

Gayle Clement
08-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Beautiful, dramatic color. The lines of the rocks and waves are just perfect.

Richard Waas
08-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Being a Miami boy, it's hard to believe Florida has this kind of coast scene. I love it!! Great comp and exposure. Congrats!