PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Bells

Joanna Trescott
07-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Every time I visit the Maroon Bells, I am pleasantly surprised! I used the Canon wide angle 10-22 for this shot. 'Shot at 1/100 @ F18. 10 mm, no flash and -.40 EC.

Nonda Surratt
07-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Ohoo I like it! Super DOF!!! I keep thinking it needs just a bit of pop but not sure?

Harold Davis
07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
it needed only 8 points of contrast!! this is one phenomenal photo! love the rocks as the foreground elements and the flower is nicely addition, just wished it was totally included with a little space between it and the frame. the clouds work you right to the mountains in the bg. just a fantastic job!! love the reflection too!!!

Joanna Trescott
07-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks Nonda and Harold. I have never increased the "contrast" in a photo -- somewhere along the line I learned it was a no-no! It does "pop". Thanks for your instruction!

Lance Peters
07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi - Love the repost - great shot :)

Brian Wong
07-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi Joanna!

Great feeling of depth, and love the clouds mimicking the rocks. Suggest you also add the title MOTIF to this image as this is a great example of deep depth of field at f/18 (include it for this session assignment!)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-31-2008, 02:39 AM
Beautiful!

Alfred Forns
07-31-2008, 07:27 AM
I like it a lot Joana and the reposts looks great !!

Remember if the image was made in RAW it is actually an unprocessed negative. With jpeg there will be some in camera processing so the image comes up looking good but you would be missing out in quality.

Julie Kenward
07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I have never increased the "contrast" in a photo -- somewhere along the line I learned it was a no-no!

Joanna, don't let anyone tell you no when it comes to photography! You do what it takes to make the vision you have of an image come to life.

Yes, there are "rules" in photography but even they are made to be broken. ;)

I've increased the saturation and contrast even more...I like images to really pop! See what you think...

Joanna Trescott
07-31-2008, 02:06 PM
I like it and will try more saturation and contrast on another landscape today. Thanks for your help.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi Joanna........and everyone else,
Harold........very nice direction......not overdone.......but could have used a bit more. Julie.........very close........but the edges of the clouds may have gotten a little blown out......here's a pretty easy yet effective way to boost contrast (you can thank Robert Amoruso and David Kennedy).......it's called local contrast adjustment. Go to Filter>Unsharp mask...........set the Amount to 20............Radius 40...........threshold 0..........these are good starting points but you can go as high as 60 on amount and radius (I usually only do it to the radius)........and up to about 4 on the threshold. By moving the sliders you will see the effect. Checking and unchecking the preview button will toggle between the correction and original. This adds a bit of final pop to an image and usually works better than brightness/contrast. (you were probably told not to use brightness.....contrast is ok and works wonders). Now for the image.......
Definitely agree with Harold on a bit more space on the flower...........but still a very well composed, lovely image!