PDA

View Full Version : European Robin

Stephen Stephen
07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/English%20Birds/Robin08_01.jpg

We were 11 days into our 14 day trip to Southern England when I finally came across a little robin. It was a drak overcast day and this fellow appeared under a picnic bench. He finally decided to explore the top for a few seconds before we had to leave.

Canon 40D & Sigma 50-500 at 417mm handheld. ISO 640, 1/500sec, F7.1 and cropped to about 65% of full frame. I decided to not use fill flash because I didn't want to frighten him away before a created a couple of images. I have some other images with better head turns but there are distracting OOF pieces of fence in the Background.

Julie Kenward
07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Stephen, I really like this! I think the head angle is nice as he is towards the plane of the camera sensor and he does have a very intent look on his face! I love the composition and background but the overall image could use a little adjusting as far as leveling out the boards of the bench and overall it feels a little bit dark. I'd try raising up the levels or curve just a bit and trying to straighten the boards beneath his feet.

I've never seen this version of a robin but I have to say I really like it! He's just as cute as he can be and who couldn't love that red breast?! You captured it beautifully!

Lana Hays
07-31-2008, 05:14 AM
Stephen
What a beautiful robin. I agree with Julie on the brightness of the image. I like the mood and I think that with a little levels adjustment you can brighten the image without losing that feeling. Well done.

Beth Goffe
07-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Very nice-looking bird! I agree with Julie and Lana about the brightness and the mood. Does the image need a little clockwise rotation? The bench seems a little crooked to the left. There's an interesting blog article comparing British robins to the ones we have here in America. http://10000birds.com/the-real-red-red-robin.htm I can't choose between them - they're both too beautiful. :)

Stephen Stephen
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Thank you Julie, Lana and Beth for taking the time to look at this image. I agree with your comments on the Brightness and the table angle. I'll make some adjustments and re-post the image as soon as I have some time.

Stephen Stephen
07-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Here's the reworked version everyone. The table edge is still at an angle because it was octagonal in shape. Thanks again! :D

Maxis Gamez
08-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Stephen,

Very nice re-post. I would remove some of the noise and the white spot next to your signature!

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I prefer your repost, is better, I agree with Maxis.

Stephen Stephen
08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Thank you Maxis and Jaun Carlos. I should have noticed the white spot. I'll look at the original again.