PDA

View Full Version : A Different View...

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-30-2008, 03:09 AM
Good Morning Everyone! ;)
I thought that this was a somewhat unusual view of a pelican' s bill....
400D 100-400mm @ 400
ISO 200
AV F8 1/200 sec
Exp comp 0.07
Look forward to your C&C's as always!!
Thanks!
Best regards to all,
Nicki

Doug Brown
07-30-2008, 03:12 AM
You've got a good eye Nicki! I like this one a lot. About the only thing I would do differently is go for more DOF; there's not quite enough in focus for my eye. I would have shot this at ISO 640 or 800 to increase my DOF. Still like it a bunch!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Hi Doug,
Many thanks for your kind words. I have a question regarding your comment about increasing the ISO to get more DOF. Please forgive my complete beginner's ignorance, but I didn't realise that I could alter my DOF this way - I thought that the only way to do this was to have a higher F number. Or have I just misunderstood you completely....:)
As always, I very much appreciate how much I am learning on this site!
Regards,
Nicki

Doug Brown
07-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Sorry about the confusion; I should have clarified myself. If you increase ISO (the sensor's sensitivity to light), you don't need as large an aperture to maintain the same exposure. For example, you will get identical exposures at f/2.8 and ISO 100, f/4 and ISO 200, f/5.6 and ISO 400, and f/8 at ISO 800 (this assumes a fixed shutter speed). In photography, a stop of light is a stop of light. In your photo, had you bumped your ISO 2 stops to ISO 800, you could have used an aperture that's 2 stops smaller. I hope this helps.

Alfred Forns
07-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Hi Nicki What Doug is talking about is using a higher ISO which will allow you a higher f stop at the same shutter speed !!!

You might want to experiment making images of objects in shade/dark and check out the noise. Most noise will be in the shadow areas. Your camera is a good performer and should do very well up to 800 and under good conditions higher. With good condition I mean the light, seems that flat light is not conducive to good images with high ISO.

I do like your creative vision a lot, Do think these type depend on detail to work its best as Doug pointed out Excellent !!!

Julie Kenward
07-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Good eye for the abstract, Nicki! I agree that this would have been much more strong of an image had the DOF been enough to bring it all into razor sharp precision. The colors, textures, and patterns are so cool!!!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi guys,
Doug and Al, thanks so much for the clarification. I understand this much better now so hopefully will be able to incorporate this into planning my images in future!
Regards,
Nicki

Oscar Zangroniz
07-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Excellent way of capturing a pelican, very artistic and original.
I like it very much Nicki.

Anita Rakestraw
07-31-2008, 03:59 AM
Very cool, Nicki, could work as an abstract! If you get a chance to reshoot as suggested above, I hope you will post the results!