PDA

View Full Version : "Hollywood" pride on Impala kill.

Marc Mol
07-30-2008, 01:41 AM
We followed this pride for over an hour on a moonless night as they slowly maneuvered themselves
in to a position where one of the females lay waiting in a ditch whilst the other three funneled the Impala
herd towards her. We could hear the thud (from 100 yds away) as she hit the Impala mid-flight and brought
it down. The other 3 arrived and pulled the hapless Impala alive in a four way split! Very graphic but at the
same time quite enthralling.
Sth Luangwa Nat Park - Zambia.

Nikon D2Xs, 300 f/2.8 VR, ISO 400, 1.250s. f/4 & Better Beamer -1.7EV.

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/photos/235118587_EaL3d-L.jpg

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Jasper Doest
07-30-2008, 05:23 AM
Interesting photograph Marc! I'm glad that one of the lions is staring right into the camera as this adds a lot to this photograph. Good use of flashlight, it brings out the right atmosphere. Regarding the framing, if you go for tight framing (like you did here, rather than showing them in their environment) I'd like to suggest to go in real tight...leave out all the parts that are not of any particular interest. By adding a 1.4 extender this would have been an even better photograph in my opinion. Nontheless a good one!

Alfred Forns
07-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Excellent capture Marc Particularly like the lighting !!! Agree with Jasper on the tighter crop do like this wider view a lot and sure would have gone for one like it !!! Graphic image !!!

D. Robert Franz
07-30-2008, 09:42 AM
The FG lion here is the poblem. An even tighter comp without that FG lion and this would have been stunning...

Kaushik Balakumar
07-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Is this all that's left of the Impala...

Interesting commentary from u.
I would agree with Jasper's suggestions regarding tighter crop. I liked the lighting & the action here - each lioness involved in tearing our her share...
TFS.

Ken Watkins
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM
That is something I have never seen before Lion eating Impalla, I wonder how they caught it, it is normally much too fast.
Nice shot but as always with Lion feeds you do not get a tidy pose. Is there a spotlight on there as well?

DanWalters
08-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Very dramatic image! I really like the eye on the center lion.