PDA

View Full Version : Shadow play

Marc Mol
07-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Southern Carmine Bee-eaters riverside nesting colony.
Taken from a boat hide on the Luangwa River, Sth Luangwa Nat Park - Zambia.
Yes, I would have liked the Carmine to be in focus, (and some were cut off) however, I think the shadow
makes the image?
Nikon D2Xs, 300 f/2.8 VR, ISO 400 1/1000s, f/4.

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/photos/307934336_vXntD-XL.jpg

C & C most welcome.

Cheers
Marc

Arthur Morris
07-30-2008, 03:57 AM
The shadow is nice and it was surely and amazing situation but the oof bird in flight is distracting. With all the amazing stuff going on using a shorter focal length here to create a pattern-type image might have been the way to go.

Marc Mol
07-30-2008, 04:06 AM
The shadow is nice and it was surely and amazing situation but the oof bird in flight is distracting. With all the amazing stuff going on using a shorter focal length here to create a pattern-type image might have been the way to go.

Definitely agree Arthur, and I do have many other images taken with my 17-55, but not with the shadow quite as nice.

Cheers
Marc

Vincent Grafhorst
07-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Very nice Marc, well seen. Yes it would have been better shot with more DOF, but what bothers me a bit more is the cut off heads of the bird on top. Still very nice as is! Would love to see an image shot with your wide angle though.

Loukie Viljoen
07-30-2008, 07:09 AM
I am afraid the "shadow boxing"does not work for me, amputations at the best of time is a messy affair, bleeding etc, if you for instance could just take the shadow which intrigued you, it still would not be a photo, sorry.

Glenn Bartley
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
I think just an interesting composition with the bee eaters static on the wall would be a great way to go.

Marc Mol
07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Appreciate the comments guys.
I'll post some wider shots soon.

Cheers
Marc