PDA

View Full Version : Clean

Paul Ricciardi
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
So I've been trying for quite some time to get clean, frame filling images of small birds. I'm getting closer as I learn better field technique. Recently I've been photographing from a kayak which is working out really nicely for me and I'm enjoying it greatly. Haven't ID'd this guy but I believe he is a swallow of some sort (ID would be great).

Olympus E1, Sigma 50-500 @ 500mm, F/8, 1/400th, EV +.3, ISO 400

On the plus side the exposure is good, I think the head angle is decent, and the shot is fairly sharp. However I wish I had been able to fill the frame a bit more and I am not too sure how I feel about the centralized composition...think it could need a bit more sharpness on the eye but not sure. Let me know what you think, thanks a lot, I've learned so much here and still have a long way to go.
Paul

John Chardine
07-29-2008, 09:24 PM
This is a new world flycatcher. They are tough to ID but this looks like an Eastern Phoebe.

You have a very nice BG here. Will the image quality allow a tighter crop?

Doug Brown
07-30-2008, 02:27 AM
The BG is quite nice Paul! The bird is reasonably sharp and the perch has an interesting shape to it. Eye contact would really help this image. I might go with a vertical crop and eliminate the brightly lit portion of the perch. I would also crop much tighter if possible. It's tough getting close to the little birds sometimes, but it's great that you're out there practicing your technique. Thanks for posting!

Ramon M. Casares
07-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I would go with a tighter crop fo sure, but other than that and a better head turn, the shot is very nice. Congratulations!

Paul Ricciardi
07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the input (and ID) guys, the little birds are hard to get close to but I'm getting a lot better at it. I could crop it but as I've only got 5 MP to work with I try not to crop much. Guess I'll have to get closer :D

Arthur Morris
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Nice perch and BKGR, but just too small in the frame to be effective.