PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Slippers

Julie Kenward
07-29-2008, 08:51 PM
This is one of my latest daylily images. I call the image "Fuzzy Slippers" because the stamen on daylily always remind me of tiny fairy legs doing high kicks in fuzzy slippers. (Yes, I am aware that my imagination runs rampant!)

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
f8 @ 1/50th, ISO 200
Processed in ACR; bumped levels, curves and saturation.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Lovely image Julie. Nicely composed image. The sharp stamens are well aided by the OOF petal (which has just the right amount of blurr). I was tempted to suggest for more DOF to bring the one slightly OOF stamen on the left in focus but then pulled back since that might've altered the BG petal. Liked the 'Fuzzy Slippers' imagination !
TFS.

Ed Vatza
07-30-2008, 05:01 PM
I see you stopped down to f/8 Jules. You're on a slippery slope.

Very nice image. I think the colors are excellent. The stamens are shape as they should be. And I like the way that you worked in the background to play off against the stamens. Nice job, Julie.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi Julie,
I like the contrast between the sharpness and OOF as well as the color contrast.......just the right balance for me. Are they your daylillies? I they are (or a friends who doesn't mind) I would try delicately seperating the stamen. With a little help from you.......you may be able to achieve this......or you have to explore a billion of them to find one with decent separation. That's why I do a lot of flower planting in my own garden. It's a good excuse!

Julie Kenward
07-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Roman, this was one of hundreds on a retaining wall at a shopping mall so I probably could have gotten away with it but people were already staring at me for having the camera and tripod out! You've got a great point, though...I'll have to remember to carry some toothpicks or something else with me to manipulate those stamen next time!

Don Lacy
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Very nice image, the color combination works well here.

Bruce Murden
07-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Great shot Julie. I particularly like the split background of good bokeh green and OOF petals. Nice tip from Roman on separating the stamens.

Lana Hays
08-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Julie
This one brought a smile to my face when I saw the title.....I had a pair of those fuzzy slippers....not to mention the visualization of you groveling in the mall flowers. Well done.....I like the composition and the idea of separating the stamens.