PDA

View Full Version : Lil Wabbit - Take 2

Ed Vatza
07-29-2008, 08:35 PM
The image never has reappeared in my original post. So I am attaching it from Photobucket.

OK , it's nowhere near as exotic as most of the wildlife here, But my new Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS arrived late Friday and I went out to play a little. I found this young rabbit feeding on the grass near a local pond. So nothing fancy here.

Used just my 30D and new 300mm f/2.8L IS. Handheld.

1/160 sec at f/3.2; ISO 200; 0 EV

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/010-Edit.jpg

Jasper Doest
07-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Congrats on your new lens... I hope it will serve you well! In my humble opinion wildlife photography is not about photographing exotic subjects, but about creating exotic photographs of every subject. If you would have approached your subject from this point of view you would probably have ended up with a much more interesting photograph. I'd like to suggest a lower angle on this one...that might bring you something a little more fancy. Have fun out there!

Ed Vatza
07-30-2008, 05:43 AM
In my humble opinion wildlife photography is not about photographing exotic subjects, but about creating exotic photographs of every subject... I'd like to suggest a lower angle on this one...that might bring you something a little more fancy.

I agree wholehearted with your basic philosophy and I agree that this image is not exotic. In this particular case, I was already on the ground. As you can see we are on a hill sloping up to the left. I was on the ground, on my left side and propped on my elbow for support. I am not sure I could have gotten lower in this case. That said, I do completely understand what you are getting at here. Thanks for the feedback.

Jasper Doest
07-30-2008, 05:54 AM
There is a difference between you being on the ground, and your lens being on the ground :-D Most people are on the ground, leaning on their elbows....but often that still is rather high. A difference of only 2 inches can make a huge difference in your end result. With low I mean LOW....the lens being just above groundlevel...on a beanbag or directly on ground surface.

Alfred Forns
07-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Glad you are going after these little guys I like them a lot and you can make some compelling images

Good eye contact, exposure and all so sharp. I do like the suggestion of going low Gives a different perspective I use an Anderson Ground Pod It basically lifts the lens a couple of inches of the ground just enough for the camera body to clear. In this instance not sure you could have done so because of the grass. Doing well with your new lens !!!

D. Robert Franz
07-30-2008, 09:41 AM
As hard as it is at times I always like shooting wildlife from a low angle and you seem to have done that here but by going even lower and using OOF FG grass to frame the subject may have turned an ordinary image into something special..

Ed Vatza
07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Points well taken folks. Since joining BPN back in January, I have gone from being a vertical photographer to a horizontal photographer and I am not talking portrait/landscape here. Particularly with flowers but other things as well, I seem to spend more time laying prone on the ground, kneeling, sitting anything but standing. But I do recognize that I sometimes can still get lower. Again thanks for the tips.