View Full Version : Jonesport Dock

Layton E Parham
07-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Jonesport, Maine Dock in Morning Fog
Canon Eos 1D Mark III, 70-200F2.8L Is,@100mm, Iso 400, F7.1, 1/640 sec

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi Layton,

A lot of visual interest in this image especially the timber pilings and their reflections. What weighs the image down is the FG dark rocks. I first thought open up the shadows but what I like about the image are the pilings and reflections. So I did a recrop, cloned out some stuff and did a slight reverse s-curve to lower contrast and open up the shadows.

I cloned out the partial dock on the left but am OK with it in. I am guessing that it is a longer dock and composing it so more of it was in the image would have balanced the longer pier on the right well.

Roman Kurywczak
07-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi Layton,
I know the area well. I think Robert's re-post brought out the fog very well.I also agree that the FG rocks were too overpowering and with the crop, my concentration is on the pier. I might be tempted to get rid of the large boat in the central right..........just above the pier........if you are OK with such things..........to further emphasize the pier withou distractions.
Did you make it onto the island for the puffin??? I couldn't get on for 3 days!

Layton E Parham
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks Robert, I like the re-post alot. That is a small floating platform. I think the lobster fishermen use it for some sort of stageing.
Yes Roman. I did get to the Puffins. My first post from the Island was a razorbill but it was posted during the website down time and received no comments, it now resides on page two. Hope to post Puffins tonight , hard to choose which one. Some are posted on my website under Maine's Best Photos. Probably my best puffin shot was ruined by the constraints of the wooden blind. I tried to pan down as the puffin ran to his den with a fish but my lens met the window frame. I cut off half the foot in photo. Thank You , Layton

www.laytonparhamphoto.com (http://www.laytonparhamphoto.com)

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks Layton. After I posted I figured that might be a floating platform. Ports like this frequently have them. Lobsta (native New Englanda speak from this native Rhode Islanda - not many times I get to use this but twice in one day is a record - your post and earlier today one of Roman's) men use them to store gear, etc. and no one on the shore has access to them at least. Including it IMO would have been the right thing to do here.

Noel Carboni
07-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Robert's crop was the first thing I though of as well. Turn it into a panoramic.

Very interesting image.

-Noel