PDA

View Full Version : To The Falls

Gordon Craig
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
I took this picture last week while walking to Miner's Falls outside Munising Michigan. There are many great waterfalls in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan however when I visited this one I wasn't very impressed. I was however very impressed with the strong Eastern White Pines along the walk there. I hope I captured the feeling of the walk to the falls in this picture.

This was shot with a Canon 5D, with an exposure time of 6 seconds. The Aperture was F/32 and the ISO was 100. It was shot with a Canon 28-300 Lens at 90mm.

I welcome any and all comments. The approach to this photograph was a bit different. It was just an idea I had at the time.

Noel Carboni
07-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi Gordon, looks like a nice spot.

The image seems ungrounded somehow. Like we're being forced to look through a window or something; we want to be out there and surrounded by all the nature, not captive behind the frame. It's also difficult to tell what's level - whether we're looking straight out or up/down some.

I'm sorry that this sounds a bit negative. You have some real pluses in the image - for example your colors and textures are very rich. I can almost smell the evergreens.

-Noel

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 07:56 AM
I am understanding what Noel is talking about. I like this image from left as my eye works right but then hit the falls and think I want to see more and feel constrained. I reposted a crop to show what I mean. I still include a bit of the falls as I don't want the tree on the right too close to the image edge.

The pano crop of the trees is an effective technique I have seen used in many photographers published portfolios - I like how the trees look in this image and this technique is a good one to create visual interest from a chaotic scene such as a forest. It just seems that combined with the falls, it does not work well.

Roman Kurywczak
07-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi Gordon,
I really like the concept..........but have to agree with the others....this doesn't work for me either. Robert's re-post makes me want to explore farther........but if I hadn't seen the first one.........i wouldn't know it was a waterfall and i think that was your original intent...........to give us a sense of peeking through the woods. I think your idea is well worth exploring more at this fall and at others.

Bruce Murden
07-30-2008, 10:27 PM
I too like the live green feel here -- and having been to these falls, it's even easier to smell the pine and hear the rush of the water that you know is nearby. This is a new view, just hinting at the edge of the falls. It makes me want more of the water. But the framing here does make it look like two images -- one of the woods, and one of a hint of the falls. Perhaps a bit wider view to bring more of the water in would really bring home your idea of the walk in the woods to the falls.