PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D700 and SB-900 image

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-29-2008, 06:27 PM
I took this image a couple of nights ago with my Nikon D700 w/ the SB-900 flash attached. I would hve posted it sooner but it is very difficult to find a RAW conversion that will work on it as the camera is so new. I find that down loading the latest release of the Adobe RAW converter will cause the images from the D700 to display properly in Bridge, but would not convert it. My next try was to bring the image up in Nikon NX2 and make any adjustments to it and then save it as a TIFF file, then close the NX2 application and reopen it in Bridge and then process it in PS, but it bypasses the RAW converter. This was OK but I am not very famillar with NX2 and so I find it not very satisfactory. Tonight I was supprised to find out that by opening a NEF file, produced by the D700, directly in PS would process the file in the RAW conversion and then send it to CS3. What wonders. I am very new and my attempt to use the SB-900 was not totally satifactory. Let me know what you think.

Nikon D700
200-400mm @ 650mm
650mm (in 35mm film)
1/125 sec, f/6.7
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: AUTO
Flash: Optional,TTL
File size: 12.2MB
Image size: 3036 x 2010
Color space: AdobeR

Alfred Forns
07-29-2008, 10:08 PM
HI Wheeler I like your new acquisitions very much !!! Congrats !!!

First off would suggest a little different setting You will be able to use a high ISO so why not bump it up? At 200 the shutter speed is very low for the magnification. Good to have some leeway. Did not see a compensation on the flash so assume it was full, might want to try -1 but does not look bad at all.

I like the pose but remember the head angle .... bird is looking away. I'm not crazy about the foreground object but did well in the framing.

Processing wise Capture NX will give you the highest quality conversions. Would look into it since its not al that difficult to use Would do a google search for tutorials, will find many.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Alfred,
Thank you for the information and comments. I will try googleing for the tutorials on NX2. Do you really think it's worth the trouble? My greatest problem with the program is it's speed or should I say the lack of it.
I still have my D3,D300, D2H and D2x. Do you think it's worth keeping them or at least one with the smaller sensor? Nikon has still not devlivered my 600mm VR which I had on order when I shot with you in February. Been on order for 7 months. I am hoping I will get it when the Olympic games are over sometime after August. Who knows? Thanks again.
Mac

Lana Hays
07-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Wheeler
Oh....you have new D700 and the SB900. I'm keeping my eye on those as I think they're a dream come true. As Alfred has mentioned.....the setting and head turn aren't ideal but I'm impressed with the overall image quality. For now I'd put some perches just above the feeders. It would allow you more time to try out the camera and give you a clearer view of the bird. A simple noise should get him to look your way. I'm still a Canon shooter but my friends who use Nikon all swear by the NX2 software so I'd certainly give it a try. I'd be tempted to sell off a couple of your cameras if you're not using them. I wish you luck in getting your 600mm VR....hopefully soon.