PDA

View Full Version : Running Roe Deer

Krijn Trimbos
07-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Lots of Roe Deer in Friesland, but get out of the car and they start running. This is one of the only oppertunities I got to photograph these animals. I should have tried to emphasize the running movement by using a slower shutterspeed, so the grasses surrounding the deer would have been more of blur. Instead my initial reaction told me to freeze the action, which resulted in a sort of in between shot, with the action frozen, but the grasses blurred a little bit. Hope you like it.

Canon EOS 30D 1/640 f8 Manual
ISO 400
Canon 300mm f2.8 + 2x Converter
RAW
Handheld

Jasper Doest
07-30-2008, 05:32 AM
Hi Krijn,

Nice one....I don't think that a true pan-blur would have worked here...as you can't see the legs. I think this in-between-way works pretty well. It would be nicer if we would see more of the front legs...but nothing you could have done about that. Also (nitpicker as I can be) I think that a pose with the frontlegs loose from the ground, works better than one with the hindlegs loose (like you have here). This pose slows down the sense of movement, while the other one would increase it.

Alfred Forns
07-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Love the image and like the selected shutter speed Just the right amount of blur Wonderful feel

Particularly like the green behind the head Would crop a little tighter by taking a tad of the top and some of the bottom !! Big Congrats !!!

D. Robert Franz
07-30-2008, 09:36 AM
This is well done. A pan blur would have been tough wth the grass as high as it is.

Vincent Grafhorst
07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
I like it as is Krijn. What makes this special is that the grass behind and in front of the animal are totally different colors. Jasper has a point there about the front legs / hind legs, maybe you have such a frame? (if you used continuous shooting)