PDA

View Full Version : Leaping Bottlenose dolphin

rmoragaz
07-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Hello everyone. I'm from Chile and this is my first post in this forum. I have learned a lot reading the critiques and looking to the wonderful images that are posted every minute in this great web page.

This image was taken this summer in a splendid day. Catching the morning light I had luck to get this individual leaping out of the water. Let me know what do you think. :)

Canon 5D, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, ISO 400, 1/3200 sec at F/5.6
(little crop from original image)

Rodrigo

Sabyasachi Patra
07-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Hello Rodrigo,

Welcome to BPN !

Nice first post. I love the action. You have caught the dolphin at the right moment. The reflection is nice. I would crop slightly more to the top. f8 aperture would have been better. It would have increased the depth of field. Hopefully, the eye and snout portion would have been still better with greater depth of field. The water droplets and the reflection surely makes this image.

Krijn Trimbos
07-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Absolutely brilliant. Love the profile view, the action and the eye contact with this beautiful mammal! Would try to get rid of some of the specs on the tail. Apart from that perfect IMHO!

Vincent Grafhorst
07-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Very nice Moragaz! Love the lighting, pose and the water droplets and trails. The exposure and DOF are perfect, great first post!

Steve Maxson
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Welcome Rodrigo. An excellent photo. In addition to the comments above, I would note that the color and patterns in the foreground water are beautiful. I look forward to more of your posts.

Beth Goffe
07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I've never seen any dolphin in the wild; I'm so envious you were able to get relatively close to one! You got him just at the right moment. I like his eye contact as well as the water reflections on his side. I agree with Sabyasachi that maybe you could take just a bit off the right side. It's beautiful either way.

Julie Kenward
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Moragaz, that is one amazing moment you captured! I love the crop the way it is...gives him a little room to come into the image. The water and reflection are fantastic. The whites are close to being a little "hot" but I think that's pretty natural for the circumstances.

Keep those images coming! Feel free to post in any forum, but if you feel over your head at any point, head over to the "Eager To Learn" area and Welcome to BPN!

Harold Davis
07-29-2008, 04:45 PM
awesome capture, rodrigo!! and BIG welcome to BPN!!! love the action and agree with the others that the water drops really make it. i also think that your crop is good!! cant wait to see some more from you.

rmoragaz
07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks to all your comments. I will upload other images of dolphins taken in the wild very soon.
Saludos desde Chile to everyone

Rodrigo

Ken Watkins
07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I can only agree what has been said above, a remarkable debut, keep up the good work!

Jasper Doest
07-30-2008, 05:45 AM
This must have been difficult to get....you never know when they leave the water. Great timing and techniques! The only way IMO to make it stand out even more is by photographing it from a lower angle, but that might mean that you have to get in the water with them.....IF that would be an option, I'd certainly do it...as you might end up with some very special photographs!

D. Robert Franz
07-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Welcome and what a way to start. A great image.....

Judd Patterson
08-02-2008, 03:03 PM
A fantastic image to capture...and very difficult to time right with a camera such as the 5D. The lighting and action look great to me. Well done!

DanWalters
08-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Great action! I know how difficult it is to try and capture any cetaceans breaching or leaping.