PDA

View Full Version : Resplendent Quetzal taking flight

Doug Brown
07-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Here's one of my favorite image from my most recent photo tour in Costa Rica. We located a pair of Quetzals that were feeding in a large tree. There happened to be a small dirt path carved into the hillside adjacent to the tree, and when we hiked up the path a ways, we were at eye level with the Quetzals. This image shows the male stretching his wings as he was about to take flight. I got lucky with the DOF at f/5.6. Hopefully we'll get looks like this on next year's trip!

http://birdwhisperer.smugmug.com/photos/296334595_kFuLJ-O.jpg

Canon 1D Mark III, 500mm, f/5.6, 1/300, ISO 800, -1/3 EC, fill flash, monopod (sitting on my butt on the side of a hill to try to get a clean look ;))

Juan Aragonés
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Wow, stunning pose Doug and very sharp result. I would try to work on the eye to avoid the effect of the flash. Too bad the tip of the wings is hidden by the branch. Very good composition BTW.

Jim Fenton
07-29-2008, 11:49 AM
The wing tip hidden doesn't bother me and the only tiny nit is the eye.

Other than that, it's a great bimage which I'd be rather happy to have captured.

Milo Burcham
07-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Great pose of a spectacular bird. Getting eye level shots of these with nice backgrounds is not easy. The curved tail feathers look great

Krijn Trimbos
07-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Apart from the red eye, which is easy enough to fix I am green of envy! Love the pose, perch, and the sharpness looks good as well. Excellent shot, did I mention I think this is the most beautiful bird on the planet!

Brian Wong
07-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Doug!

Congratulations on your favorite image! I like how you have the complete tail, and that it is in focus with the bird! I agree with Juan, and I think the curve adds to the composition. Very nice, and I would love to see one someday.

Julie Kenward
07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
What's not to love? From the curve of the tail to the angle of the wings...it's all good.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Wow Doug!
I can see why it's your favorite. The colors are just WOW! Wish for the whole wing.........but tail curve puts this over the top!

Arthur Morris
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
A truly wonderful image of a great bird. The colors and sharpness are amazing. In addition to the above, the darker area behind the head bugs me a bit as does the little white thingie (drop of water) on the moss directly below the foot that is visible. Easy to lose the latter. Also ditto what Juan said.

Steve Canuel
07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi Doug,
NIce job of capturing detail and the shimmer of those feathers. Tail feather angle is a nice touch as well.
Steve

Simon Bennett
07-30-2008, 03:52 AM
Superb image Doug - the semi-circular arc of bird and tail is most interesting.