Lisa Flory
07-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Canon 30D
manual settings
1/100
F14
ISO 100
20mm
remote bounced flash (all I know about the flash used was that it was older than I am)

I would like your opinion on how to improve this type of photo. I worked this past winter assisting a show photographer and also taking some show photos of my own. For this situation, the bird must be standing in a certain pose, according to its breed standards. We are in a small black room so the birds don't try to fly out. The only light source in the room are small lights used so the camera can focus on the bird.

These photos are for the show catalog to illustrate the winning pigeons, as well as any pigeon whose owner is happy with how it competed in the show. So the photographer had to combine the breed standard posture plus highlight each individual winning pigeon's strengths and hide any flaws.

OK, mom said for me to submit here in the tougher forum so I'm holding my breath, or as they say in Germany "holding my thumbs" and giving it a try. So fire away! I am anxious to improve. <!-- attachments -->

Alfred Forns
07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Lisa this is one fine image !!! Proud of you !!!!

Very appealing and love the pose !!!! Would only have more room around the bird Seems tight.

For your set up I would suggest multiple flashes Should be a snap and you could also bounce light from an umbrella !!!

Lana Hays
07-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Lisa
This is outstanding....almost looks like a porcelain bird. A very interesting bird and wonderful pose. I would like a little more room around the bird but have a feeling that you need a tight shot for the catalog. Alfred had good suggestions on the use of flash. I'm curious.....what are the feathers at the feet of the bird.....part of the bird or there to cover up the feet?

Arthur Morris
08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, I am no expert on using indoor flash and bouncing it around and everyone above said exactly what I was gonna say: a bit more room, what's with the feathers?, I thought that it was a statue, and it is pretty darned good as is.

Amy DeStefanis
08-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm just fascinated by this image - especially that the background matches the color in the bird's eye so perfectly. Is the background "real"? or did you use the color around the eye in photoshop to create a background effect? I know nothing about pigeons - do these show birds usually have such striking jewel tones around their eyes?

The grey floor/table that the bird is standing on is not particularly attractive - but I guess it's hard to keep clean. (could that be a reason for the feathers? or did he just have ugly feet) :) Black velvet really traps in the light like a black hole - I wonder how that would work considering the realities of having an animal walk around on it (keep a lint roller handy).

Amy D.

Amy DeStefanis
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Oooh - I just googled this bird, and the feathers "on the floor" are actually part of the bird's leg/feet!

Here's a link: http://www.geocities.com/guido_madrusan/north.html

Very interesting bird....

Cheryl Flory
08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Lisa asked me to answer for her, so here goes my best try: The feathers on the feet are called 'muffs'. Those and the upright tail are both part of the official characteristics of this breed. The background is real. She uses colored cardboards. different pigeon breeds have different color irises, not all have irises as bright as this.

I will pass on to her your suggestions.

Cheryl Flory
08-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Amy, you happened to go to a link of an excellent top notch breeder and person! And friend of Lisa's. Check out his accomplishments! A great guy!

Noel Carboni
08-07-2008, 10:32 PM
It's a beautiful image!

As far as seeking to improve it... I think it could use just a bit of direct flash fill.

Here's a secret: Try a neat little inexpensive piece of gear that can allow you to bounce most of your flash off the ceiling, yet provide a little direct light, called a Lumiquest 80/20. You can see it here: http://www.lumiquest.com/lq872.htm

I picked one up at the local pro shop for something like $20 and I like it very much for maximizing the quality of the lighting I get from one flash mounted on the camera. It's also good for portraits.

-Noel