PDA

View Full Version : Reflections of Marshall Point Light

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Taken about 20 minutes after my previous post....wish I had seen this earlier......just to show that you should never stop looking at your subject. I admit that I am a fanatic of reflections and will stop at nothing (including carrying my own water) to try and achieve a reflection shot. This one was easy from a water standpoint.......some was already there.....and all it took was about a 1/4 of a water bottle to add the rest. You will not see any reflection unless you get all the way down! Taken laying down with the camera approximately 6 inches off the ground, hand held, and the puddle is about 9 inches long that collected on the wood and about 1/8 inch deep. Mark 3 with the 28-135mm lens 60 mm at ISO 640 (so I could hand hold) and f22 for 1/100th of a sec.
As always comments welcomed and apreciated.

anita ray
07-29-2008, 10:36 AM
roman was I sleeping when you did that? I am going back this and yes I will carry a water jug and 3 stopND.
nice perspective.
anita

Michael Pancier
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
love it. great reflection. did you try any in horizontal format?

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
roman was I sleeping when you did that? I am going back this and yes I will carry a water jug and 3 stopND.
nice perspective.
anita
Hey Anita,
Yes.......you were catching up on sleep...........something we didn't get a lot of! A water bottle would be more than enough from this spot.........which we didn't see the day before because it was dry.........but it rained overnight.........that's why I noticed the puddle! I had not seen it before the many times I was there either.
Look for the board that is slightly curled up near the beginning of the boardwalk. It should have a dark spot from water collecting there.
PS No Michael, I didn't try a horizontal as i didn't think it fit..........but i may have to next time!

Noel Carboni
07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
It would take a good eye to have spotted this extra special photo just waiting in that puddle, but to create it... Sheer genius!

-Noel

Brian Wong
07-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Roman!

What I like in this image is the bending, curvy, "S" shape to the wooden boards. My only suggestion is that it may need a slight CCW rotation, so that the reflection is plumb vertical.

Harold Davis
07-29-2008, 04:49 PM
it's funny, i noticed the same as brian, the curvy boards! really cool capture. nice eye!! are those lobster traps out in the water?

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2008, 04:54 PM
are those lobster traps out in the water?[/quote]
Hey Harold,
Yep.........so many i think you could walk across the water on them. I lost count of how many pounds I ate...........only in Maine!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-29-2008, 08:25 PM
:) wonderful !
The reflection in FG balances the top. Liked the way u've composed this frame. Nice to have imagined this scene & executed it so well.

Gayle Clement
07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I really like the composition here. Now you're going to have me carrying extra bottles of water!

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Nice work Roman.

And Maine Lobsta is the best. Lobsta is not a typo - that's native New Englander speak from this native Rhode Islander or is that Islanda.

Grady Weed
07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Now thats dedication! Carrying your own water for the reflection! Excellent use of time and resources when you know what you see is all you have to work with. Nice to meet you and look forward to all of your posts.

Richard Waas
07-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Roman, my wife always makes me carry water with me when I go on photo shoots. And here I thought it was for drinking. I love reflections, great find!

Vincent Grafhorst
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Roman, I just commented on your lighthouse photo you posted today, but I like this one a lot better. It does not have the lovely light, but that composition, with those lines is awesome. Very well seen!

Gus Cobos
08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Superb, I like the vertical crop showing the reflection...:cool: