PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Rocks At Dawn

Michael Pancier
07-29-2008, 05:27 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/2710172310_67482978ea_o.jpg

Glad to be back....

hiked to blowing rocks on Sunday. Nothing like a mile hike in humid hot conditions with equipment.:eek:

But the shots were worth it.

This was was taken with 5d+17-40L @ 22mm
3 stop Singh Ray NDGF

30 seconds at f/16

James may like the fact that the colors are Florida Gator colors.... how about that?

Robert Amoruso
07-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Michael,

I am liking this one a lot. The blue color cast, the composition, the FG, the BG, the lines in the water due to the clouds, the tidal pool reflections in the rocks.

When I was on vacation last week I thought of going down to Blowing Rocks but with its 9 am opening time thought not to - plus long drive for me. As best as I could figure, I would have to hike on the beach to the rocks from one of the public access points. I am guessing that is true based on you comments above. Is that the case and where did you access the beach from?

Michael Pancier
07-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Michael,

I am liking this one a lot. The blue color cast, the composition, the FG, the BG, the lines in the water due to the clouds, the tidal pool reflections in the rocks.

When I was on vacation last week I thought of going down to Blowing Rocks but with its 9 am opening time thought not to - plus long drive for me. As best as I could figure, I would have to hike on the beach to the rocks from one of the public access points. I am guessing that is true based on you comments above. Is that the case and where did you access the beach from?

Robert, I parked at Coral Cove Park which is about a mile south of Blowing Rocks. They have parking on the west side of the road next to the park. The exit gate of Coral Cove was open and people were parking in there, but I opted to park outside.

I got there around 5am and hiked the soft sand to blowing rocks. (next time I'm taking only 1 camera body and a lighter tripod). :D

the lighting will get pretty harsh around 7:20 or so and then it's time to hoof it back. Judd was there too last Sunday but I didn't learn it was him until later. The heat wore me down especially on the way back. bring a lot of water.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Michael,
I do like the color and placement of the pools compositionally. For all that work, i wish you had gotten an even more dramatic sunrise. Do you have a version where the top darker clouds were totally in the frame or did they wander too far up??? Not sure including the tops would have mattered..........as it may have de-emohasized the rocks too much. I think the thing I like most about the image is the way the clouds cast a shadow in the water and gave it even more interest.

Michael Pancier
07-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi Michael,
I do like the color and placement of the pools compositionally. For all that work, i wish you had gotten an even more dramatic sunrise. Do you have a version where the top darker clouds were totally in the frame or did they wander too far up??? Not sure including the tops would have mattered..........as it may have de-emohasized the rocks too much. I think the thing I like most about the image is the way the clouds cast a shadow in the water and gave it even more interest.

I have quite a few shots. this one was the first one about 20 minutes before sunrise. I liked it more because of the blue toned rocks. The other ones are more dramatic. Still working through the processing.

Brian Wong
07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Michael!

I really like this! The blue color gradient goes well with the soft coral pinks. I really like the feel of the foreground rock formations, and how they are repeated in the cloud formations. The dreamy reflections on the water is cool. The slightly inclined clouds somehow bother me, but I know there is nothing you could have done. Image has a really nice "depth" feel to it.

Noel Carboni
07-29-2008, 11:57 PM
There's a great play between the shapes of the rocks and the shapes of the clouds. This is a real winner!

Oh, and this Florida Gator also likes the colors. :)

-Noel

Bruce Murden
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Lovely image, cool of night fading into dawn, quick moving clouds (compared to the exposure time) with the stable rocks. Lots of great things going on in this image. It's definitely worth your hike for me to see this photo :D (I mean, of course, you should feel it was worth your hike to get this image for yourself)

Judd Patterson
07-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Yeah, Michael, I love the color tones on this one! The blurred water and clouds from the 30 second exposure are really great too. It's a fun place to explore.