Ken Watkins
07-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Taken in Kwando Concession, Northern Botswana 30th June 2005

EOS 1d MkII

100-400 + 1.4X hand held

F8, 1/200, ISO 250

Sabyasachi Patra
07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Interesting ears. Some harsh lighting, Its bottom is on fire and tail is raised. :-)

If its tail would not have been raised, then the whites on the bottom would not have been exposed. The legs are clipped, but it is not such a big issue for me. You managed handholding it well. Again interesting ears, it makes me laugh.

Beth Goffe
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I agree with Sabyasachi about the legs and you might be able to recover the whites under his tail. However you are so lucky to have had an opportunity to get an image of a rare antelope, these are minor points. Roan antelopes are very rare in Tanzania (we got a glimpse from a distance when I was there). Are they as rare in Botswana?

Ken Watkins
07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the comments, they are usually difficult to Phot as they spend most of their time hiding in heavy woodland, this was a rare opportunity although I have a few more. I think they are rare everywhere, unfortunately. We have seen them in Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe though rarely in large numbers. The babys have years just as big and are very amusing to look at.

D. Robert Franz
07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Great subject but a bad BG and some rough lighting just kills you here.

peter delaney
08-01-2008, 05:31 AM
well done Ken

These roan are indeed very rare, especially in south africa....you are fortunate to see and get a shot... as so often happens with rare subjects .. all the other elements that we need to make an image often are not around... you did the best with the harsh lighting and encroaching bush.

you got to love those gremlin ears!!