PDA

View Full Version : Stream along the Sugarlands Valley Trail

David Kennedy
07-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Sugarlands Valley Trail, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tenn.
Canon 5D and 70-200mm f/4L lens @ 81mm and 3-stop ND filter
Six vertical images exposed 2.5 sec. @ f/11, ISO 160

Welcome back to the newly restored BPN! This is an image from a visit to the Smokies in June, cropped down to emphasize the flow from right to left. I've tried burning in some of the areas in the background that I thought distracting, but didn't want to go overboard before first checking the pulse of other viewers. All comments are appreciated and eagerly anticipated!

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 08:45 AM
David,

Love the tonality of this image - it leaps off the screen. The fast flow on the right combined with the slower flow on the left is very cool. I love the divergence of the different flows. I am not really seeing any overly bright spots that grab my eye.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I love this image. The crop has a big impact. It pulls your eye to the flow. You feel as if you are right there in the scene. I don't find any distracting areas, as already the wet rocks - normally the possible source of burnt highlights - are taken care of.

Noel Carboni
08-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I always like the feel of smooth water as a result of long exposure. The wet rocks serve to enhance that feeling. Nice stuff.

-Noel

Arthur Morris
08-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Hey David, I really like this one but for the fact that you have ignored the "clean lower edge" principle... The preponderance of foreground rocks bugged me so I cropped from the bottom leaving part of the single rock on the right and another sliver near the center that I cloned out.

I was unable to incorporate your copyright so please either forgive or add the copyright.

Love to the family and you too.

ps: When I glanced again at the cropped repost I noticed that the fastest water was right in the rule of thirds position--a nice plus.

David Kennedy
08-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Artie,
My problem is that now I like my original crop (even though I agree that the edge could have been even cleaner, I like the rocks and how they grounded the image), but I also like your edition. I'll have to reproduce the crop for myself and see if, in the process of revisiting the image, I come to a clear preference. Either way, I always appreciate the advice!

David

Arthur Morris
08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Doovid, I showed it to a few folks around the house and they all felt that the crop from the bottom was a huge improvement. Sometimes photography can be like writing; once you've written it, it can be hard to simply delete something... It is, however, your image <smile>

Hey, take a poll!

ChasMcRae
08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I like either(cop out) and always ck his trail when I'm in the area.

Be aware this area is a favorite nesting spot for Ruby throated Hummingbird where they nest in limbs that overhang he stream.

Chas.