PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane Family In Flight- Viera Wetlands, FL

Shawn Marques
07-28-2008, 08:12 PM
A trio of Sandhill cranes, two adults and a juvenile, on their way to their roosting spot for the evening Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking!

Canon EF600mm f/4L IS USM on Canon 40D
1/800s @ f/8.0, ISO 600
Gitzo tripod, Wimberley head
Taken near sunset

Ramon M. Casares
07-28-2008, 11:01 PM
The trees in the BG give a very nice sense of DOF, I like the poses and specially the lIGHT! Congratulations!

Jim Fenton
07-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Shawn...

While I like the light on the birds, the trees are a distraction to me.

Did you intentionally blur them out? To my eyes (which did just crawl out of bed) they look as though they were intentionally overly blurred and don't look natural?

Shawn Marques
07-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Shawn...

While I like the light on the birds, the trees are a distraction to me.

Did you intentionally blur them out? To my eyes (which did just crawl out of bed) they look as though they were intentionally overly blurred and don't look natural?

Hi Jim. No, that is how the bg came out naturally from the camera and I do agree they are a distraction. Thanks for the input!

Shawn Marques
07-29-2008, 07:23 AM
The trees in the BG give a very nice sense of DOF, I like the poses and specially the lIGHT! Congratulations!

Thank you, Ramon. ;)

Randy Stout
07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Shawn:

I love the matching angle of incline of the three birds, the light and wing positions. I too find the trees very distracting, partly because they are so dark. If you PP ethics allow, it would be interesting to see them without the trees, just the blue sky.
I generally am a big fan of environmental pictures, but think this one might do better without the trees.

It is amazing how fast the chicks grow!

Randy

Noel Carboni
07-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Sharp, well composed, colorful... Really nice.

It's great that you caught them in three different wing positions.

For what it's worth, don't overanalyze the shot - I think the trees add a nice sense of depth. Maybe you could reduce their contrast some...

-Noel

Shawn Marques
07-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Thank you, Randy and Noel, for your input. Though it's easy enough to remove the trees, I will try reducing their contrast to make them stand out less. Maybe that will make all the difference. Best regards