PDA

View Full Version : Victim of the Outage...

Arthur Morris
07-28-2008, 06:55 PM
This Blue-footed Booby was photographed at Punta Suarez, Hood Island Galapagos with the handhled 400mm f/4 IS DO lens and the EOS 40D. ISO 500. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/640 sec. at f/5.6 set manually.

Sometimes you gotta be lucky. I walked up a hill and found the group lounging around listening to Juan. I point the lens at this bird that was sitting on a rock and was rewarded with a big yawn.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Arthur Morris
07-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Well, it appears that this image is jinxed or that we are having problems again... IAC, Bill Bryant posted this to my last attempt:

Hey Bill, I deleted that thread as the pic was gone, but I wanted to get this to you.

re:

"You obviously have more than a full complement of all of the Canon bodies & lenses, why did you chose to shoot the 40D that day? Are you just testing gear, or was there some other reason you left your mkIII's in the boat that day?
Ah, you should subcribe to our free Bulletins so I don't have to type this stuff twice <smile>"

With an old bad shoulder and a new bad elbow I have been using the 40D bodies and the 400 DO rather than the 500 and the MIII. Am loving the light weight and the results. Just shows to go you it ain't the lens and it ain't the camera...

Ramon M. Casares
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Love it, love the moment captured, the BG, the light, the details all very nice, I'd just like a bit more room at the bottom. Congratulations!! Outstading still!!!

Gayle Clement
07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Wonderful color and that eye is fascinating, Artie.

Milo Burcham
07-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Glad you reposted. Love the "tooth" on each side of the bill.

Krijn Trimbos
07-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Love the species, detail, colours, BG and of course the open beak! Am curious as to why you chose to shoot this at f5.6 as the tip of the beak does appear to be a bit soft. All together an excellent headshot!

Arthur Morris
07-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Love the species, detail, colours, BG and of course the open beak! Am curious as to why you chose to shoot this at f5.6 as the tip of the beak does appear to be a bit soft. All together an excellent headshot!

Was wide open when the bird yawned... No time to switch. And stopping down would bring up unwamted BKGR detail. For 25 years I have been focusing on the eye and letting the rest fall where it may; too old to change now :)

Arthur Morris
07-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Wonderful color and that eye is fascinating, Artie.

Hi Gayle, I should have mentioned; this is a male. The pupil of the female is much larger (in any light) and quite irregular in shape, sort of diffused.