PDA

View Full Version : D700 buyers remorse - but not for long

Randy Stout
07-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Good afternoon all:

I picked up a D700 on Saturday. I currently shoot with a D300, D1X,etc. I have been very happy with the D300, and appreciate the extra reach from the crop factor. I started fretting about this, the loss of reach for birding, so went out to the local bird sanctuary. Because I had little time, and didn't have the right plate with me, was shooting hand held with a 80-400 instead of the 500 on the Gitzo. I was prepared to be disappointed, but just had to give it a try.

Yes, the reach is a issue, and I will have to rethink the lens line up, but the image quality was stunning. Even with the 80-400, which certainly isn't the sharpest Nikkor. I thought I had accidentally stuck a 300 f2.8 on it.

I have not shot a D3, so suspect it is the same, but the sharpness right out of the camera is wonderful, there is a certain depth to the images that I don't see with the D300. This is a area that I have taken thousands of pictures at, I know the light there, and what to expect. I still was amazed.

Perhaps the blush of newness will wear off, but it is a fine camera. I don't like the new control pad, feels a bit wobbly compared to the older style on D300, and the card door is a bit of a step back in my opinon, but the images are great.

Sorry to babble, but it is an exciting camera.

I was using a Mac Book Pro with the high resolution screen, which really adds to the punch of the images.

Cheers!

Randy

david cramer
07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Good to hear your report. I look forward to some images!

Blake Shadle
07-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Babble all you want, Randy! :) I'm excited to hear about it!