PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at the bog

Johannes Glännman
07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi guys...

It is good the forum is back :)

I come here with a sunrise from the bog.... I was excited over the how the sky turns from orange to blue so I tried to capture it with a foreground that was not to much and not to small and that is quite common for the bog..

What do you think? Do you think the darkes trees in the foreground is disturbing or do you think it adds to the feeling of looking towards the sun ?

Feel free to speak :)

Cheers // Johannes

Robert Amoruso
07-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Johannes,

I think you did a great job with the composition of this image. The trees provide good visual interest in the FG and balance out the sun glow at the same time. I like the overall feel and mood of the image.

As I like to tweak tonality, I downloaded the image and made two curve adjustments to it in PS. The first was to brighten up the FG (curves adjustment, grab midpoint of curve and pull up and left) and second to darken the sky (curves adjustment, grab 3/4 point on the curve and pull down and right). Both adjustments are on separate layers. The sky adjustment did create a bit of posterization so you have to be careful of that.

As a minor note, along the bottom left, you have some of the white blooms on the grass close/on the image edge. I suggest cloning them out.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Johannes,
I like the way Robert's re-post brought out more details in the FG grasses without losing any of the mist. I may be tempted to crop a bit off the top but just in the blue area. Nicely composed with the trees being balanced out bythe sun.

Johannes Glännman
07-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Hello..

Thank you. It makes me very happy that you like the comp.

I do feel that I like Roberts work on the image, but in the top of the trees it looks very odd. Some part of the trees are dark and some are more light.. But I will clone the flowers away... Good suggestion..

Cheers // johannes

Robert Amoruso
07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Johannes,

The trees look odd because the selection was not refined enough. As I did two different curves adjustments, the refinement of the selections and sub-sequent masking has a direct impact on the final result. My goal was to demonstrate overall how these two corrections could affect the final results but I did not get into refining the selection well enough not to have created the "odd" look at the trees.

I thought about this at the time but forgot to mention it.

Noel Carboni
07-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Nice. Looks like a warm morning coming on the heels of a cool night. It's a simple, elegant image with a lot of potential.

Watch your level. The image seems about half a degree rotated CCW.

The Photoshop Shadows/Highlights function can make short work of lightening the dark parts. :)

And this is one that seems to want more color saturation. It is all about the richness of color in the magical morning light.

Here's a quick rework to give you some ideas for what you might do with this one.

-Noel

Johannes Glännman
07-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Robert, ofcourse... It is not ment your supposed to work hours with images that is not yours... I get your point and I am very glad you help me....

And with Noels picture I have som ideas.. I will work on the image a bit more and see what I can come up to and then I will show it again :)

Cheers and thank you all // Johannes

Johannes Glännman
07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Hello guys..

I now spend about one and a half hour on trying to do something with the picture... I am not very good at Photoshop so it was good training.... I finaly got a bit of picture I am quite happy with...

It was very hard to do something with the top of the trees in the FG I think. I tried and tried, I did not want it to dark but not to bright either, just showing some details... This was with I camed up with.

What do you think of this ?

Cheers // Johannes

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Jonte_rm/_DSC0051.jpg

Noel Carboni
07-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Nice job! The added lightness and detail in the grass below brings the focus of attention down and makes the image much more inviting. And I think the trees against the sky look nice in silhouette.

I still think it needs about 1/2 degree of CW rotation though.

-Noel

Johannes Glännman
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks Noel... I am happy you like what I did...

I know I forgot the rotation. But after all my tries with the image I could not motivate myself to change the rotation and after that upload a new image and edit my message... You know, a bit lacy..

Cheers // johannes

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi Johannes,
Very nicely done on the final post. Worked out well! I see you listened to Robert and cloned out some of the brighter grasses in the FG. Good move!

Johannes Glännman
08-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Thank you very much Roman. You are all very kind that is helping me so much.... I feel that I am learning very much.
mvh // Johannes