PDA

View Full Version : Golden Mountain Sunset

Mitchell Krog
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Taken in the mountains near my residence.
EXIF: Nikon D3 | Nikon 24-70 mm | 0.6 @ F22 | ISO 100 | ND-GRAD

http://www.livingcanvas.co.za/gallery/content/landscapes/sunsets/MKROG_MountainSunset_D3B1455.jpg

David Kennedy
07-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Welcome to BPN, Mitchell!

Your image is very dramatic, in large part because of the sun position (and size), and I do like the foreground rocks that you chose in your composition. I do feel that the top of the frame is constricted--the sun and the silhouetted tree are too close to the top edge. I wonder if you introduced some halos during sharpening in post-processing, as there are some halos around the silhouetted tree and the rocks immediately to its left, and also on the ridge lines in the distance. These are things to watch out for as they detract from the scene.

Thanks for sharing!
David

Mitchell Krog
07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks David for your comments, this image has had very minor raw processing done. The halo around those rocks appears in the original image and is a result of the ND-Grad being just a fraction above the rock line. Thanks for having a look ;)

Robert Amoruso
07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Welcome Mitchell,

I agree with David, a well composed image with a lot of drama. Also agree that a bit more room on top would be nice. You might be able to extend the canvas and add it in PS if that is something you wish to do.

Roman Kurywczak
07-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi Mitchell,
You used the rocks very well compositionally and the grasses form a path that leads my eye through the image . The starburst of the sun is the final piece to a very nicely composed image. I am OK with the crop as presented as the extra room may take attention away from the FG.

Kaushik Balakumar
07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Lovely image. Like the warm tones. Beautifully composed frame. Liked that lonely tree on top & the rock + swirling grass in the FG. Image has an artistic feel.
TFS.

Noel Carboni
07-29-2008, 11:59 PM
The play of the backlight on the grass is wonderful, and the colors overall are beautiful. Very artistic.

-Noel