PDA

View Full Version : ghillie suite - any good?

Sid Garige
07-28-2008, 01:36 PM
I got access to couple of game farms and planning on working there photographing deer for next couple of months. These farms host a collection of native and exotic deer species. Some exotic species are very skittish and afraid of human contact. My objective is to get images in open grass fields and blind is not an option due to water buffalos on property. Does ghillie suites help? Anyone has any experience regarding this?

thanks in advance.
-Sid

Alfred Forns
07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Sid there is a lotion for doing away with your scent which seems trigger their main alarm. Have spoken to people that have tried it and had deer walk within feet !!!! All second hand info but worth looking into !!!

..................... btw if you get into a ghillie suit please let me know ... I want to go and take pictures:D:)

Sid Garige
07-28-2008, 02:12 PM
..................... btw if you get into a ghillie suit please let me know ... I want to go and take pictures:D:)

you will be able to get convincing enough images to make other believe in BIGFOOT.:):)

Johannes Glännman
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Ghillie suit has to be very good if you buy a good quality one... It is not only the fact that it has to take away the siluett of humans, it also has to be absolotely silence and both hands and face must be covered...

As Alfred say your scent is a problem.. Not because you smell more then me ;) But because it really makes the animals run run run... I would test some lotion if I was you but also it is very important to work in wind that is blowing towards you so it takes your scent and sounds away from the animals...

Cheers // Johannes

Grady Weed
07-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Sid, think about the concept of a ghillie suit. Soldiers wear them to sneak up on people. After doing so they usualy kill the subject so they cannot harm them. If you are lying on the ground and trying to crawl up on the subject, you just might get too close. If they cant see you or suspect you are there, they just might come over and trample you. Especially if you stand up all of the sudden. You mentioned they have water buffalo on the property. They can be very dangerous. I would try the old fashion way and just inch closer, so they can see you, without triggering the urge to trample.

Sid Garige
07-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Johannes and Grady thanks for your inputs.

I did look into scent locking ghillies and they are expensive. I guess its economical to get a scent neutralizer and spray on ghillie. Bass pro has quite a few selection.

Coming to ghillie, I did get a good recomendation from my co-worker. http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=apc&product=Ghillie
It has an extra piece for equipment cover and i can use it for my gear. I will let you know how it works this weekend.

Al, I will post a bigfoot image for you:).