PDA

View Full Version : Earwig stack (20 images)

Jody Melanson
07-27-2008, 02:49 PM
What a cool looking bug! (and he has the same haircut as me! :) )

http://jmelanson.smugmug.com/photos/338850400_yndEU-O.jpg

Model = Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
Exposure Time = 1/200"
F Number = F14
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Metering Mode = Spot
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 150mm + 3 Tubes + Reversed 50/1.8
Color Space = sRGB
Exposure Mode = Manual exposure
Tripod (what a cumbersome device! :D)
Mirror Lockup
Remote Shutter release
20 Frames stacked with CombineZM

Karl Günter Wünsch
07-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Now that's what I call extreme and successul. How did you move the focal plane - did you use a focusing rail of sorts?
O one minor nit: There are some small processing artefacts from the OOF highlights on the body of the insect, nothing major but I recognize this kind of problem from my experiences with CombineZM...
regards
Karl Günter

D. Robert Franz
07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
This is very cool. The DOF is incredible for this magnification. How in the world do you get a bug to stay still for 20 Exposures?????

Kaushik Balakumar
07-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh my god. What fantastic details. Absolutely amazing. A ditto on Robert Franz - how do u manage to keep the bug still for so long...

Jody Melanson
07-28-2008, 05:41 PM
To keep him still for so long, I threw him in the freezer beforehand.

Bill Sharkey
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
That would slow me down for sure!

Great shot Jody, and you got him to sweat too!

Bill

Karl Günter Wünsch
07-30-2008, 04:39 AM
To keep him still for so long, I threw him in the freezer beforehand.
I hope you are kidding? This kind of behaviour is deplorable at best and IMHO not the kind to be propagated by a nature photographer at all...

Scott Grant
07-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Incredible Jody! wowzers! :eek:

Bruce Murden
07-31-2008, 11:12 PM
Great stacking to bring out the alien details we seldom see on insects. If you could have had a few more frames, I would have liked a little more of the antennae in focus to bring us to the face more, but I can't fault all the work you've done already to get great focus depth on this stacked image.

I personally do not object to the chilling method to immobilize insects for photography (has to do with my opinion on individual insects), but that debate may be best suited to a discussion on ethical standards in nature & wildlife photography, perhaps in our General Photography discussion forum. The situation is similar to whether you may pinch a dead leaf or dying bloom out of a wildflower comp, or how/when to disclose that you photographed captive animals.

Desmond Chan
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
how/when to disclose that you photographed captive animals.

Captive animals and dead/frozen animals are not the same thing though.