PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Frogmouths

Simon Bennett
07-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Tawny Frogmouths have two modes: stealth (left) and active (right).

Canon 40D, EF500 f/4, tripod, 580EX flash + bb, ISO400, 1/200, F/8, evaluative, fec -1 2/3, shot vertical, cropped a little

Steve Canuel
07-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Simon,
I like the gum leaf BG you got here. I also like the different poses (prefer the head on one) and I didn't know they had such long tail feathers. The tree trunk has some interesting texture but the brightness (probably accurate) is a little bit overpowering. Picture also appears a little cool but this could be from the leaf color BG?
Steve

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-25-2008, 07:40 PM
How neat Simon! Thanks for sharing. Love the fact that you are able to illulstrate both behaviors side-by-side.

We recently rehabilitated a Tawny (WIRES) and they are so gorgeous to look at and neat when they know the mouse is coming and just open their bills to swallow it from your fingers.

Interesting how these are on the burnt branch and I have no idea how they wanted to be camouflaged against the cream colored eucalypt trunk. :)

Arthur Morris
07-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Just wonderful. The one next to the tree looks like a cat! A bit more contrast and adding a bit of black to the neutrals in Selective Color might make it really pop.

Tony Kirkby
07-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi Simon

I agree that the tree colour is a little strong but I also like the way the bird fits into the curve of the trunk.
Well done

Tony