PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Racer

Anita Rakestraw
07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
This eastern racer has taken up residence in our barn....yesterday she was out when my husband went in to do chores and he hollared at me to bring the camera if I'd like to get some photos of her. She wasn't very happy, felt pretty threatened and I felt bad about that, but I did get some pictures. Upon closer inspection of the pictures, it appears she's had some sort of injury to her face....right side. If you look closely, you can see some of it here on her 'nose.' I can post pictures of her right side if anyone's interested. I have some different poses, and all the originals have most of the snake in the image. There are a couple with her tongue out. This is the first one I've processed.

7-23-08, 5:45 p.m.
1DMkIII, 100mm macro @ 100mm, monopod
f/11, 1/80
Large crop, cleaned up a couple intruding grass blades

The large crop was mainly to eliminate unattractive ragged grass blades, but it put her head smack in the middle of the image....not sure if that works. Lighting created shadows on images taken at this angle; there are other angles though. All c/c welcome!

Lance Peters
07-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Anita - Wow - Obviously not dangerous - you are close Lol :) Does look like she has been in the wars.

IMHO - the body of the snake at the front of the picture seems to be the sharpest part of the photo, as my eye is drawn there first. Or maybe a different crop to remove the foreground part of the body.

Could be wrong?

Anita Rakestraw
07-25-2008, 05:18 PM
You are right, Lance, focus point was on front part of body here. :( Can crop that out if will improve....maybe have a better focussed image somewhere among my takes....Thanks for stopping & the cc!! Always helps! (P.S. She was striking & showing her tongue, but being fairly sure she wasn't poisonous, didn't look her up until finished with my photos....) :p :eek:

Lance Peters
07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Are you crazy :) :) :) LOL - Any action shots???

Alfred Forns
07-25-2008, 06:59 PM
You are brave Anita !!!!!!!

The crop is going to work really good I think the head and body are in the same plane, cropping will draw more attention to the head and make it bigger in frame. The injury sure give a peculiar look to the snake !!! Excellent !!

Harold Davis
07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
that is one kooky looking snake!!! you certainly captured a look on its face!! cant wait to see some more from the series!!

Julie Kenward
07-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Anita, I didn't realize you lived in the foothills! I am going to have to come visit as I have always wanted to photograph them!!!

Okay...very cool image. I thought a tighter crop might make the snake's head a bit more of the focus (although I love the details in the body!) Also, I went into Photoshop and did an adjustment with the shadows/highlight sliders and came up with this. It tones down some of that harsh lighting on the top of the snake without losing the details of the lighter areas or over-darkening the shadowed areas. See what you think.

Also, it looks like he might be shedding skin? Maybe that's what's up on the top of his head??? Be sure to show us more as you get them processed!

Oscar Zangroniz
07-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Great capture Anita. Sure looks like she's been through some rough time !!

Lance Peters
07-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Like Julies repost! :)

Anita Rakestraw
07-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks very much to all of you! I do think Julie's crop and shadows/highlight adjustment improved it. And we too thought maybe the top of the head was shedding, not sure. Will look forward to seeing what you think when I get something posted that better shows the injuries....

Gus Hallgren
07-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi, Don't like snakes, however, I like the way you caught the surprise and "Who me," look on its face, Super photo! . . . Uncle Gus

Anita Rakestraw
07-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks, Gus!