Flash flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Exposure Program aperture priority
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode auto
White Balance auto
Color Space sRGB

Fabs Forns
07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I think you managed the harsh ight pretty good, shame on the deep shadows on the lower petals. Some flash my have helped tame them. Beautiful flower!

Robert O'Toole
07-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Agree with fabs, what a great looking flower too bad about the harsh light. A diffuser would have been a great help in this situation.

Robert

Bill McCrystyn
07-25-2008, 06:47 PM
OK, I'm gonna stick my neck way out on a limb and go against my two favorite pros here. Stuart - repeat after me, Shadows are my friend. Artisic expression in nature, you know, out of doors, like good moody studio portrait lighting can be a good thing you guys. Sometimes shadows add character and interest to the image. I think without the shadows this image would lack dynamic range and punch. I would turn down the overall levels (brightness) a touch, reverse the upper and lower margins (you want it low - not high) and frame it!

Shooting this in Adobe RGB may have toned it down a little.

Julie Kenward
07-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm with you, Bill. I think if a flower is outdoors it should (sometimes) look like it is outdoors! I don't mind the play of light and shadow on a plant but...I would like to see you tone the highlights down just a bit. If you work in CS3, try the shadow/highlight adjustment sliders and see if you can't get them to calm down just a bit. Next time, try the fill flash on and off and see which you like best.

Lovely lotus! I'd frame it, too.