PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for shooting with a new 500mm.?

Don Blue
01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I have been shooting birds with a 400 5.6 for several months. I just got my new 500 f/4 today...I have it mounted on a Gitzo 3530 LSV with a Wimberley 2 gimbal...I will be shooting it with a 40D. Any advice to lessen my learning curve would be much appreciated..:)

Thanks...
Don

Steve Foss
01-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Looks like you've got the gear balanced well.

My only advice is to be nice to yourself and don't knock yourself over the head when you don't make the lens perform as you believe it should. It'll all come in time. I just say get out there, shoot until that darn 40D wears out and have a blast!

Sorry I wasn't more help. There's a learning curve with any new gear, and part of the fun is getting to know the knew gearlfriend. :D

Chris Ober
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
If you're not already, start working out :) An extension tube on that thing can do some pretty good butterfly and other 'macro' images too.

Don Blue
01-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks....:D

Bob Ettinger
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Try this for some good advice from a professional.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/longlens.html

Alfred Forns
01-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi Don

Excellent link from Robert !!!

Start the right way and stick with it Would wrap arm around head and rest three fingers on lens foot With index and thumb push up on the lens At the same time push up on camera body with cheek This will take the play out

Do lock the head when you are able The IS will make a difference Enjoy your new lens !!!! Oh one more important thing I have gotten used to lifting the tripod of the ground after placing the lens on head Will insure Is on before I let go Have had one come crashing down !!!!

Don Blue
01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks Bob & Al....:)

I've been practicing locking everything down and putting it on and off the head. I think that's my biggest fear...is to have it not locked on and watch it hit the ground. I also want to practice handholding it as it's not as heavy as I thought it would be...I've shot competition skeet for several years with a 10 3/4 lb. Krieghoff K-80 shotgun so I guess that has helped me as far as handholding it...:)

James Prudente
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.pbase.com/silverbowff/image/91562763.jpg

Don,

This rail really stabilizes long lenses.

Jim

Jim Caldwell
01-12-2008, 03:36 PM
James, would you mind posting more information about that rail?

James Prudente
01-12-2008, 05:32 PM
James, would you mind posting more information about that rail?
The rail fits the Arca-Swiss type clamps. The piece that is vertical is adjustable up and down to fit a number of different lens body circumferences. It has a pair of sealed bearings that roll against the lens body when you rotate the lens. There are two attachment screws that fit the foot on the lens (as you know one of the threaded holes on the lens foot needs an adapter to fit the machine screws necessary to attach Kirk, RRS, and Wimberley plates.

after you attach the rail to the lens you mount the lens on the head, adust the vertical piece with the bearings so that it touches the lens, then push up on the lens body so that it flexes about 1/8" and adust the vertical piece up snug and tighten the locking screw in place.

This rail can be used on 400 f2.8. 500 f4, 600 f4, 300-800 Sigmonster and probably several others.

I have no affiliation with the folks who manufacture and sell this rail. I am a very satisfied customer.

I purchased mine from Donald A. Higgs you can email him at Don@donaldahiggs.com

Cheers,

Jim

TIM SOMMERS
01-13-2008, 07:33 PM
jim thanks for the review i have joind bird photographers.net tim sommers chack out my web site at http://www.digitalrailroad.net/photoman4474 (http://www.digitalrailroad.net/photoman4474)

Jim Poor
01-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I just got my rail in today. I missed the part about the adapter bushing so I have to order one, but no big deal. Until it gets here, I can put my original foot back on or I can just wait a day or so :D

I've been thinking about something like this for some time. I think will likely dampen the vibrations from the shutter that get transmitted down the lens as well as make the whole rig stiffer and more stable. Can't wait to try it out.

Not that for Nikon the rail is mounted in reverse with the "Y" closer to the camera rather than the end of the lens.

EDIT: It is also good to note that the Wimberly telephoto flash bracket will mount to this rail anywhere along about 90% of it's length that is not blocked by the clamp to the tripod head.