PDA

View Full Version : White-faced Meadowhawk

Bruce Enns
07-25-2008, 12:24 AM
This male White-faced Meadowhawk was photographed at Grohman Narrows Provincial Park near Nelson BC Canada. Natural light, 1/250 s, f/11.0, Sigma 150 macro with Sigma 2x on a Mongoose 2.3 head and Gitzo 3530 LS. Comments and critique are most welcome.

Cheers!
Bruce

Ed Vatza
07-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Good looking image, Bruce. There are a lot of dragonfly images posted recently and I know I don't say it enough but I am always impressed by what you guys can do. You make it look easy and, having tried it on occasion, I know it isn't.

Back to your image. The detail looks excellent both in the body and the wings. Also like the color. Finally, the perch and background are very nice. Good job.

Julie Kenward
07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree with Ed - this is one of the better dragonfly images this year. You got the body AND the wings in focus and that is tough, tough, tough! Very nice image. What do you think your secret is???

Bruce Enns
07-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks Ed and Julie...my secret? Good light, good lens, good weather (not too windy), patience, lots and lots of practice (i.e. lousy photos)...and often, but not always, a few photoshop 'tricks' to fix what you can't deal with at the time the image was made. This is my second season shooting dragonflies 'seriously'.

D. Robert Franz
07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Love the light and the dragonfly. By shooting at F11 you got good DOF on the subject but it starts to bring the BG into play. It's a tough call, I usually go for the less distracting BG and forsake DOF on the subject if there is no other way...

Robert O'Toole
07-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Nice light angle and the top down view is nice also.

Wow that guy has some hitchhiker mites on the thorax.

Robert

Bruce Enns
07-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks Robert and Robert, I will often go for more DOF because I think it holds the viewers attention on the subject better, but each situation is different... Yeah, I noticed the mites as well (as being something different) but didn't know what they were...now I do, Thanks!

Cheers!
Bruce