07-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Canon Xti
Sigma 170-500 mm lens at 425 mm
f6.3
ISO 400
1/125.

Lance Peters
07-24-2008, 10:54 PM
HI Dave - hadn't seen one of these before - thanks, looks like you have good detail, nice eye contact.

However you have cut the poor fellows toes off - Ouch :)
Tossing up whether it looks a little dark - did some adjustments - might be too much. Doesnt do much for the BG either especailly as it makes the lines that cut through the birds neck more obvious. Original might be better :)

Gus Cobos
07-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Dave,
I like the image and capture, however there are a few points that need to be addressed. The poor bird is missing a foot...:eek: OUCH...:D The eye is too over sharpened, does not look natural, and the multi colored diagonal lines in the background could use a bit more blur to fefuse them down. The black line is cutting the bird...:D

Julie Kenward
07-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Ahh, I see the "virtual feet police" have already stopped by! :D They are right, of course; it's important to get the entire foot (or virtual feet) in the image.

I agree that the eye is a bit oversharpened and also think the BG could be even less obtrusive if it were blurred a bit more. It's a dark image overall but it really works for me. I think your composition (besides the missing toes) is very nice and the bird has a nice head angle.

Gail Spitler
07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Dave
Did you sharpen the eye? I can find several images of Clark's Nutcrackers with that very distinct eye-ring. Is it sharpened or is it 'real'?
Gail

Anita Rakestraw
07-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Dave, this looks very nice to me, especially the head, which really stands out nicely!! It looks pretty dark to me (not the head tho) but that's probably my monitor. Agree about the foot....):

Harold Davis
07-25-2008, 07:18 PM
you sure got some nice detail in the bird!! i think it needs a little more room all around and especially to include his toes!! the black streak that cuts his beak is a little distracting but i think easily corrected!! nice going with this nice looking bird!!

Alfred Forns
07-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi Dave

Clipping the toe is a biggie !!! Would also like to have more room all around Particularly to the direction the bird is looking. Would also like to see the bg going over with a smoothening brush btw the point of sharpness seems to be more on the breast area !! Neat pose and very good feel !!!

Dave Slaughter
07-25-2008, 08:32 PM
The head and eye are indeed sharpened a bit, but not really too much.. I took this picture last winter and the light is not real great here that time of year, especially in a pine forest. I knew the toe would bring about comments. He was ready to launch and I only got a brief shot.