PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoe Falls, Munising, Michigan, USA

Bruce Murden
07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Another one of over a hundred named waterfalls in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. This valley is shaded by many trees -- you can see that the sun is shining on the trees in the upper BG.

Nikon D80, Nikon 24-85 @ 24mm, f/22, 2.5 sec, ISO 400 (yes, tripod!).

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey Bruce,
Very nicely composed. The water makes a very nice curve through the frame and the ferns serve as a very nice anchor point to the overall image. 2 things to explore........the very bright leaves in the center of the frame above the falls.........crop just below them and proportionally off the right.........or keep this frame and just do a bit of digital removal..........secondly..... try burning in some of the lower right pool to see if there is more detail that can be squeezed out of the whites. Just a few tweaks to a very nice waterfall!

Johannes Glännman
07-25-2008, 11:12 AM
This is fantastic...

I really like how well-exposed it is everywhere. I find it hard to have both good exposure in the fall and the same time above the fall. You did that great. The shuttertime is perfect and the way the water flows the same...

It is only one thing I want to get rid of. It is the strange spot, just left of the first fall. The highest part of the waterfall... Do you know what I mean ?

Cheers // johannes

Noel Carboni
07-25-2008, 10:53 PM
It's nice how the water meanders all through the frame. This has a very 3D feel to it.

There's something about the color that feels a little strong... Perhaps a hair too much yellow/orange. Balancing the shadows a bit more toward blue might cool things off a bit. I also took the liberty of reducing Johannes' spot.

-Noel

Robert Amoruso
07-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Overall, a nicely composed image. It appears a bit soft to me and when I applied a few rounds of small JPG USM it sharpened up nicely.

I feel the left side is a bit tight at the that part of the waterfall in the middle of the frame and would have liked to see a bit more separation - a minor point however.