PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Snake discovered in front yard

Brian Wong
07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
EOS 40D 70-200/2.8 @170mm
1/800, f/2.8, ISO 800, handheld

Rattle Snake discovered in front yard

Photographed last week on my front entrance walkway. I was shocked, unaware and have never seen a rattlesnake before ... let alone 20+ years in our suburban neighborhood. He was approximately 2-3 feet long, very thick ... maybe 2 inches diameter. He blended-in well, and was hard to spot if not warned by the rattle noise. He was pretty upset and I had no desires to get close to clear the clutter.

None of the agencies (911, humane society, etc.) would come out. I sadly had to dispose him due to all the neighborhood children, and pets in the area.

Thank you for looking, and your suggestions are appreciated.

Alfred Forns
07-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Must have been a shock Brian !!!! ...... why didn't you try the stick trick to pick him up :) Did the right thing !!!! Neat getting the head and rattler !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
I had no idea you could get turned away when you call 911. That's reassuring. :)

Julie Kenward
07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Brian, do you think maybe all the wildfires might be bringing them into the suburbs? I heard much of the wildlife in CA is on a wild rampage to relocate right now.

Cool image. I give you kudos for even standing close enough to even take it!

Johannes Glännman
07-25-2008, 03:58 AM
I have photographed many rattlesnakes and other snakes.. And snakes are difficult to comp. It is very good you have both the head and rattle, but the lack of sharpness and moving makes it a very nervous picture.... It is better if you wait untill the snakes makes him into a coil and lifts the head up a bit so you can get as little ground as possible...

Cheers // johannes

D. Robert Franz
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Fine effort here. Snakes are very difficut to photograph successfully. The head and the rattle together is nice the clutter is not. Looks like it was a gorgeous snake.

Steve Canuel
07-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Nice comp with the rattle and head. Too bad you couldn't get some help removing it. At least he'll live on in pictures :)
Steve