PDA

View Full Version : Local camera clubs

Joan Chasan
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I have just recently found out that if anyone re-does a photo I have posted here, then I may not be able to enter it into a local camera club competition. It appears that suggestions, ideas and directions on what one might do to improve it are fine. but if someone reworks it and reposts it then it could be a problem.

Is there anyway to make sure that someone does NOT redo a photo I post here? other than maybe specifiying it in every photo I upload?

Blake Shadle
07-24-2008, 04:02 PM
In our guidelines it states that posting an image allows anyone to repost it with their thoughts and ideas. Each time that you post an image that shouldn't be reposted, you'll need to specifically mention this. Otherwise, our staff and members may repost any image if it helps other to learn.

The rules sounds a little tight for a local camera club competition.

Dan Brown
07-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi Joan. A suggestion would be for you to post "in camera dupes", learn from what happens to them here, then apply what you learn to the #1 in camera dupe (file numbers will be different for each image) and enter that in the camera club competition. Dan Brown

Joan Chasan
07-24-2008, 04:28 PM
What exactly are in camera dupes? do you mean almost the same but different shot? one you took just afterwards or ????

Fabs Forns
07-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes, take a rapid burst of images and they should look pretty much the same, but are technically different.I was President of a camera club at some time and never heard of such a rule.

Mike Tracy
07-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Sounds like a stuffy bunch to me.

I don't any difference in the long run between having someone out in the field helping with settings, where to stand etc. and some one demonstrating how to enhance a particular image in post processing. In the end you the photographer has to execute both the capture and editing to it's final form.

WIlliam Maroldo
07-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Joan: What I would do is not worry about the reposts at all. Don't download them, so they won't get them mixed up with your images.. Images have data written with them, called EXIF, and someone could read the EXIF on such an image and realize it might have been worked on by someone else. I don't think this is possible, but lets just say it is. Ultimately, even if someone reworks your image to show you something you still own the copyright. You created the original, and technically they can't do anything to it, or publish it without your permission. You have given permission to have the image altered and published(on the web)by signing up here, but you still own the copyright of all derivatives of your work as well as the original. If the club had these rules, you could just work on the original and follow the suggestions of members here to a T. The resulting image would look exactly like the instructional rework. hope this helps~onlybill I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the instructions on this site generally are referring to either Adobe Elements or Photoshop.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
This rule sounds quite arbitrary. As long as you don't submit the repost I don't see the point.