PDA

View Full Version : Caribou

Steve Maxson
07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
This image of a very pregnant caribou was taken in late June a couple years ago at a remote camp near Cape Churchill, Manitoba. At this time of year, the great majority of caribou cows have given birth and have shed their antlers. A herd was moving by the camp and this is one of the few situations where you can get relatively close to these animals. The black specks around its head are mosquitoes - they just started emerging that morning. 20D, 500 f/4, 1/1000, f/9.5, ISO 400. Comments are welcome.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Very pregnant, huh? :) I like the light and habitat, maybe a tad more room on the left.

Alfred Forns
07-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Just the room by the rear end !!! That animal does need some help ... looks in sad shape !!!

Steve Maxson
07-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Just the room by the rear end !!! That animal does need some help ... looks in sad shape !!!

Hi Alfred. Actually, in June, all the caribou are shedding their bleached-out looking winter coats and changing over to their darker summer coats. Thus, they all tend to look a bit scruffy during this season. :)

Julie Kenward
07-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Wow, that is one haggard looking caribou! I was going to comment on the lighting but I think you did the best you could with what you had to work with!

D. Robert Franz
07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Fine comp you did well with the light you had. A bit more room on the left side of the frame would help..