PDA

View Full Version : Any good birding spots around Stockholm??

Nicki Gwynn Jones
07-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am planning a short trip to the Stockholm area of Sweden at the end of August and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether there are any good places for bird photography within a short drive of here. I am particularly keen on water birds, but any birds will do!!!
I usually post on the ETL forum, but being a good European I should probably come and visit with you guys sometimes!!
Best regards to all and thanks for any info you can send me.
Nicki
:)

Peregrine Craig Nash
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
I think if you posted this question on www.birdforum.net you will get more response as a number of members are from Stockholm. Or try this Irish birders and wonderful bird artist's blog http://blogbirder.blogspot.com/

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks Peregrine - I'll give it a try!

Daniel Stenberg
08-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I live in Stockholm and there are a few places that could attract you as a birder and a birdphotographer. I think you should try out lake Hjälstaviken (about 60 km west Sthlm city and one of the best birding spots in this part of Sweden) or lake Angarnsjöängen (about 25 km north Sthlm city). Just a few km south of Stockholm there is also lake Ågestasjön. I should also warn you that birdphotography in this areas are quite hard and there is a lack of good public hides in Sweden overall.

Which airport do you fly to? If you fly with Ryanair and land at Västerås Airport you will almost pass lake Hjälstaviken when you drive towards Stockholm.

If you need any more info I´ll be glad to help you.

// Daniel

Daniel Stenberg
08-04-2008, 02:10 AM
A tip is also to look at the site for swedish bird sightings named Todays birds (http://www.artportalen.se/birds/todays.asp). Choose your date and then "Uppland" for province and you will find the latest news for the north Stockholm area. Choose "Södermanland" for province and you will find the news for south Stockholm area. Stockholm is on the border of these two provinces so observations from the Stockholm area splits in two. Lake Hjälstaviken and Angarnssjöängen is in Uppland and lake Ågestasjön is in Södermanland.

// Daniel

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi Daniel,
Thank you so much for all the information that you have posted for me. I can't lay my hands on my flight details at the moment but I will definitely check out the possibility of visiting these areas. I am excited about my first visit to Sweden!
Do let me know if I can be of any assistance should you visit the UK!
Best regards,
Nicki