Canon 20D
Canon 75-300mm lens

1/500
F4
75mm
ISO 100
Exposure -1.0
no flash

Ok, it's a face _its_ mother would love, just not an animal high on our "cute" list which is why I was surprised it looks almost cute in its photo. One of my goals in this image was to de-emphasize its long narrow nose so i don't mind that the nose tip is not as sharp as the face, and having its long skinny fur-less tail out of the photo was another plus for me. I got this opportunity at a wildlife rehabilitator's center when Mom and I took an injured Sharp-Shinned Hawk there.

I think the image could have used more DOF.
I would appreciate any comments and thoughts you have about the image.

carole wiley
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
I pretty much like it the way it is. It could maybe use a bit more detail in the ears. That pink nose and the bright eyes staring right at you....you gotta love it!

Alberto Oria
07-24-2008, 11:43 AM
So cute and so fierce!
Rising the ISO at least to 200 would kept the noise under control and you could stop down the lens 1 f-stop having a little more DOF, to de-emphasize the long nows, it could probably would help you, stepping back and zooming in so the lens would compress the image.

Gail Spitler
07-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Lisa
Like the image, and agree that de-emphasizing the long, pointed nose increases the C.Q. (cuteness quotient). I did want the nose to be a little less oof, so I tried selecting the tip area and sharpening. I discovered that it didn't take much to sharpen it too much so that the CQ went way down, but 50% sharpening with a 1.0 pixel radius (these are numbers from PSElements 6) brought the nose into slightly better focus.
I tried that because I don't think it is a DOF issue. When I look at the wood in front of the face, it is very sharp, so I thought the nose could be in focus too.
Hope this makes sense.
Gail
ps. Glad you could see the sparrow's eye (smile)

Alfred Forns
07-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Lisa

It is a cute little guy !!! Understand you concern for having the nose sharp but even stopping down to 16 would not happened. At that close range the dof is not all that much. Would have stopped down more to have the entire face sharper I think these type image you want lots of sharpness in the face and then a tapering of

Not sure how you managed so much shutter speed but the exposure looks very good Normally I don't photograph much at 100 ISO I would say you would be very safe at 200 !!! btw love the eye contact !!!!

Lisa Flory
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Mr. Forns, I was told that the lower the ISO, the greater the level of detail in the image. Is that not accurate?

Gail Spitler
07-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Al and Lisa,
It's been a long time since I have seen a live opossum. Lisa is this an adult? Can you estimate the distance from the tip of the nose to just behind the ears?
I'm wondering how much dof you need to get that area in focus
Gail

Harold Davis
07-24-2008, 05:35 PM
hi lisa, what a nicely composed image and a sweet looking animal. that is an opossum right? nice job.

Arthur Morris
07-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Too, too cute. The between the log pose is priceless. Was it posed there?

Lisa Flory
07-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Mr. Morris,
No, it wasn't posed there, this was in its living area. Mom and I worked together to get the image. We did that a lot. She would help get animals' attention/pose, and I'd try getting the photo. Sometimes it was easy like with this opossom. Sometimes it was "an adventure" (our phrase for the crazy stuff which would happen on our trips and attempts) like with a terratorial male swan (who kept my flip flop for a souvenior for an hour), or how mom got the tigers to run to the camera when we visited the EFRC (Exotic Feline Rescue Center), or photos showing the height of a waterfall. lol

Lisa Williams
07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Lisa,
Excellent photo. He is just too cute. You and your mom make a great team.

Arthur Morris
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Dear Ms. Flory, Thanks for the info. It's great that you and your Mom get out to photograph together. Mr. Morris :) :) (Artie is fine...)

Gus Cobos
07-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Lisa,
I like your composition just the way it is...good show. no nits from me, all points and techs. have been addressed...:)

Nonda Surratt
07-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Lisa,

Flat out cute!!!! Like it as is, nice job!