PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Point Light

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
This lighthouse is not photographed as often as some of the others but I love the walkway leading up to it and it has many different angles to choose from. The sky looked very promising that morning with wonderful pinks and reds........they just never made it behind the light. This is a very good example of why I love the grad ND's. I stacked a 3 stop and a 2 stop, slightly offset (for about 4 stops ND) to get the sky to look this good and bring out detail in the FG grasses. Canon Mark 3 with the 17-40mm lens at 40mm set to ISO 200 and f22 for 1/3 of a sec.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Harold Davis
07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
i really wished you'd stop posting these lighthouses!!!! makes me want to come up there and go roamin!! i dont know what is around it, but i would almost like to see some more area if it isnt too busy...and maybe from a higher perspective too. nonetheless, i still like it!!

Arthur Morris
07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
A simple but elegantly designed image.

anita ray
07-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Nice Roman, I know you PS the inside of the lighthouse. What did you do?
I would have cropped a bit of the bottom.Start at the beginning of the pier, but then half a rock cropped would bug me. Just thoughts....
anita

Roman Kurywczak
07-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi Anita,
This was the 2nd morning out at Marshall Point............I used 5 stops of ND instead of my usual 3.............this allowed me to lighten the FG more and really darken the sky w/o darkening the light too much (as it is the brightest thing out there). The sun was also partially out hitting just the lighthouse a bit.........all I did in PS was darken everything a bit more using levels......then a bit of color balance on the blues.........and some contrast adjustment. Final step was sharpening.
Hope this helps.

Michael Pancier
07-29-2008, 09:27 AM
one of my favorite lights. haven't been there in 11 years but your pics may prompt me to head back this fall.

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Good work Roman and great composition. Excellent discussion of the technique too. Well done.

Gus Cobos
08-14-2008, 06:14 PM
What can I say Roman,
You are killing me with these lighthouses...:D Fantastic...The composition is super...:cool: