PDA

View Full Version : In the beginning of the bog

Johannes Glännman
07-24-2008, 05:04 AM
I think "bog" is the right name in english of this type of landscape....

I was out today at a very nice bog to practice my comp-skills and try to capture the fog good with the camera.... It was hard light but I think I made it pretty good... What do you think ?

Exif:
Nikon D80
Nikon AF-S 12-24/4
Tiffen graduated nd filter
Tripod

Cheers // johannes

Noel Carboni
07-24-2008, 08:25 AM
This is nice.

My only nit is that the fog, while it adds some mystery, doesn't feel quite thick enough to flavor the image strongly. Perhaps you could reduce the contrast of the lower part of the image digitally, to create a stronger sense of fog hugging the ground. Something like this image, which increases the "got there very very early" feeling.

-Noel

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi Johannes,
I think Noel may be on the right track......but it may be a bit too much fog for my tastes. Try knocking down the contrast about 10 pts. Compositionally it look like the image needs to be rotated about 1 degree CW. If you pull a ruler from the tree in the center down to the reflection........they don't quite line up. I would also play with a few different crops.........as the tree and reflection on the right don't add to the composition and the left side darker area is also a bit overpowering. Not much you could have done with the sky as it looked bland....... but if you had it........adding another grad on top of the one you already used may have helped a bit more.

Johannes Glännman
07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Thank you guys. I always get so good and helpful comments here...

I put your coments together and made a picture that I like quite much. But I dont know how to rotate the picture in Photoshop...

What do you think of this ?

Cheers // johannes

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Jonte_rm/_DSC0008-2.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Johannes,
You need to roatate the image before you crop. Go to Image> rotate canvas>arbitrary........type in a #....I'm guessing 1.0 and then check either CW (which in what you need in this case) or CCW. Click OK. Then you can crop it.

Johannes Glännman
07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Alright, thanks for that...

What did you think of the new picture beside the rotation..

Cheers // johannes

Fabs Forns
07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
If you use the ruler tool (under the eye dropper) you can draw a line by clicking and dragging the mouse from one point to another in the picture (suppposedly a straight line) then go image>rotate canvas>arbitrary and the exact amount will be typed in for you, just hit OK.

Johannes Glännman
07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I found the ruler tool but I did not how to use it... I do now, thanks Fabs..

mvh // johannes

Brian Wong
07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Johannes!

Another tip for reflections, especially if you are using a very short, wide angle lens ... generally the central portion would be the best position to judge a plumb vertical. Depending on the wide angle lens, the edges will / can start to show various pin cushion or barrel distortions (so I would use the ruler tool on the center tree and reflection).

Arthur Morris
07-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Why did you clip the interesting tree on the right and its reflection??? We must be most careful with the edges of the frame....

Johannes Glännman
07-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Well, I did find it a bit disturbing because it was not enough room on the right side of the tree I thought... But it might have bin better to have it there...

Thanks for the information about that Brian

Cheers // johannes

Robert Amoruso
07-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Sorry for getting to the party so late Johannes, but it looks like you got a lot of help with this one. Glad Fabiola explained the ruler tool to you - a very helpful way to rotate and image.

Johannes Glännman
07-30-2008, 10:00 AM
It is never to late Robert :)

Yes I got much help, as always in this forum..

Cheers // Johannes