PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Denim

Christopher Hill
07-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Here's another of the microscope images. This one is of Ethylene glycol crystals and salts lit bi-refrengently. I really liked the color and detail that came out of this - but each crystal is feathered to such an extent that I had to reduce the jpeg quality to a 4 on a scale of 1 to of 12 to make the size limit in this forum.

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III
Olympus IX71 microscope
0.6 seconds exposure

Enjoy!

Mike Moats
07-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Hey Chris, this is another cool image of this tiny world we never see. It looks like and abstract made with fabrics.

Robert O'Toole
07-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Chris,

When I saw the thumbnail I thought a snow flake in Hawaii? I like the details and the round shape with the 2 small square shapes next to it. Also I know what you mean about the 200kb limit, even at 700-800 px it can be a challenge to save.
I only wish you didnt clip the large round shape in the center!

Robert

Noel Carboni
07-24-2008, 08:03 AM
That's very cool!

My first thought was, "oh oh, time to clean the couch". :D

-Noel

Lana Hays
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Christopher
Oh man.....this is excellent. It does look like denim. Out of curiosity....do you know what the total magnification was on the microscope. This is a world of macro all in itself. Well done.

Christopher Hill
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Chris,

When I saw the thumbnail I thought a snow flake in Hawaii? I like the details and the round shape with the 2 small square shapes next to it. Also I know what you mean about the 200kb limit, even at 700-800 px it can be a challenge to save.
I only wish you didnt clip the large round shape in the center!

Robert

Robert - you know there IS skiing in Hawaii, don't you? No lifts, but the top of Mauna Kea on The Big Island has a nice snow pack every winter and people do ski it...

As far as clipping the round shape - that was actually the edge of the slide there - it clipped itself. I agree though that I need to work more on composition with these kinds of images.

Thanks & aloha,
Chris

Christopher Hill
07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Christopher
Oh man.....this is excellent. It does look like denim. Out of curiosity....do you know what the total magnification was on the microscope. This is a world of macro all in itself. Well done.

Lana,

I'm a bit hazy on actual magnification, but if I remember correctly, this one was taken with the 40x objective lens, and since the image looks pretty close to what I see through the 10x eyepieces I would guess that it may be about 400:1 - but I could be way off on that. I'll see if I can get a better answer from our microbiologist today.

Aloha,
Chris

Julie Kenward
07-24-2008, 02:17 PM
That is really amazing! The title is absolutely perfect and the image is so crisp and well detailed. I love looking at these kinds of images. Keep 'em coming, Christopher!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Excellent patterns, details & contrast. A lovely abstract - thanks for sharing.

Ed Vatza
07-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Agree with the comment regarding the clipping of the round image in the center. That said, this image is stunningly beautiful. Wonderful job.

Anita Rakestraw
07-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Just fantastic and it truly looks like denim!! Pretty much agree with what others have said - including: Keep 'em coming, it is most fascinating to see "another world!"